• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Upgrade to LR6 and move to new computer....which first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ntex

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I want to move my LR catalogue and pictures to my new laptop and also want to upgrade from LR4 to LR6 (perpetual license). Which should I do first? Upgrade to LR6 on the old machine before moving? Or Move the catalogue and pictures to the new machine, along with LR4, and then upgrade? The Lightroom Queen says when moving to a new machine, download or install an updated version of LR on the new machine. But she also suggests not going to an entirely new version of LR at the same time as moving to a new computer. So now I am confused. :wtf:

sizzlingbadger

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Move the catalog and files to the new machine. Install LR6 and then open the catalog and it will upgrade it for you.

Ntex

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Ok. So I can just move the LR 4 catalogue over ( and pictures ) without installing LR 4 on the new macine, then install LR6 and it will ask about upgrading the old catalogue. That seems to make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.