• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Upgrade Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgwalter

John G. Walter
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
The latest, I think
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Apparently, my LR Classic was upgraded recently? Now, when I try to open it, I get the message that the catalog needs to be upgraded.

I say OK, but quickly an error message appears, and then a prompt to choose another catalog. I read the notes, and it suggests that a lock file still exists, which it does, until I quit the program, then it disappears. In any event, the process fails, and changing to any other catalog does not work either.

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 8.14.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 8.09.42 PM.png

Jim - if I try to start the newly-installed LR9 from the Creative Cloud Desktop app, it starts up briefly and crashes before anything loads. I've submitted several crash reports. There si no way that I can get LR9 to open the upgraded catalog.

In which case, given that you've tried all the suggested actions, maybe you'd be better off reverting back to 8.4.1 for the time being, until the next update is released, and hope that it fixes whatever problem is causing your crashes. In the meantime, maybe submit a bug report (using the link at the the top of the page) detailing all the steps you've tried.

Jim - thanks for your comment. If I try to open LR9 from the Creative Cloud desktop immediately after LR9 installation and the catalog upgrade, it crashes almost immediately, before anything other than the blank grey screen appears. I've submitted three crash reports after this has happened. I know that the upgraded catalog 2-2 is fine because it opens for Paul McFarlane. The actual upgrade process seems to have gone as intended. It is simply that there is no way to get LR9 to open the upgraded catalog. It seems to me that there must be something specific to my PC. Would there be any merit in uninstalling every Adobe program, including Creative Cloud, and starting again from scratch?

Would there be any merit in uninstalling every Adobe program, including Creative Cloud, and starting again from scratch?
TBH, that seems unlikely, though certainly not impossible.
If I was having that issue there are a couple of other things I'd be trying first:

Trying to create a new catalog (just to see if LR9 will open)....do that by holding down the Ctrl key while starting Classic. That causes the "Select Catalog" panel to be displayed, use the "Create a New Catalog" option.....I'd also suggest creating that new catalog on a different drive, preferably an internal drive rather than one of your externals. If that opens OK, look at the preferences to make sure that you have the GPU disabled on the Performance tab.

If that all looks OK, maybe try to copy the upgraded "-2-2" catalog to the same internal drive and try to run it from there. Does that make any difference? If not, I'd then try booting into Safe Mode and trying again....if it works OK under Safe Mode that tends to indicate that there's a conflict somewhere which is causing the crash, but then it becomes a slow process of trying to find the conflict. The starting point would be by booting normally then trying Lightroom again with no other applications active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back