Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I currently have Photoshop CS6 (13.0.6 x64) and Lightroom 6.14 installed on Mac OS Mojave. I now want to upgrade to the Creative Cloud Photography plan (which includes Lightroom Classic, and Photoshop) and then upgrade my OS to Catalina. Besides purchasing, what are the steps I need to take with respect to my currently installed apps. For example, do I need to deactivate and de-install both apps before I download and install the CC versions? When installing Lightroom Classic, will my LR catalog be converted to a new version? Any other considerations?

Hi

I'd suggest upgrade to the CC Plan first. Classic will update your catalog and rename it with a -2 after the name. No need to deactivate anything. The last part of this post explains the upgrade from Lr6 to Classic:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-lightroom-classic-since-version-6/
Once that's all settled and running, then look at the Catalina upgrade. If you're upgrading (rather than a clean install) then again no de-activation is needed for the Adobe products.

While it's all low-risk, nonetheless always take backups before each main step.

All the best with the upgrades!

No need to uninstall or deactivate, although you'll probably eventually want to uninstall. Yes, your catalogue will be converted to a new version, probably the first time you run Lightroom Classic.

Thanks for the replies. One other thought . . . as I recall the Lightroom 6 de-install program is 32 bit, so it would not work on Mac OS Catalina. Is there any value into hanging on LR6 since I would have to delete it prior to Catalina upgrade?

Thanks for the replies. One other thought . . . as I recall the Lightroom 6 de-install program is 32 bit, so it would not work on Mac OS Catalina. Is there any value into hanging on LR6 since I would have to delete it prior to Catalina upgrade?
There would seem little merit - when you launch Classic it'll ask to upgrade your catalog, which will then not work with Lr6 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back