Updating Lr 6.3 to 6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terryw

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi all,
This may help others updating to Lr6.5 (or simply show up my very limited knowledge of such matters!)

Last year I bought Lr6.3 (perpetual) and for the past few months have been getting an emailed update message informing me there’s an update for Lr Creative Cloud. I have been deleting these messages on the basis that don’t have the CC version of Lr only the perpetual version.

The other week I upgraded my Canon EOS 60D to the new 80D and when I tried to download the photos (raw) Lr didn’t recognise the new raw format. After a web search I discovered that Lr version 6.5 does now support the new 80D. I checked my version which was 6.3. I therefore opened Lightroom/ Help/ Updates and up popped a box informing me there was an update for Creative Cloud i.e. the message similar to the ones I had been deleting. This is when the fun started as I was looking for an update for the perpetual version (not the CC version) but every search/ enquiry only seemed to refer to updates for the CC version. Eventually more in frustration than any hope of success, I returned to Lr/Help/Updates and accepted the "download CC updates" to see what would happen. It all downloaded OK and when I checked my Lr version it had updated itself from 6.3 to 6.5. It now recognises my new camera and everything else in Lr seems to be working OK.:)

I then checked my LR Adobe account and that now shows that I have the CC free membership as well as my previously purchased Lr6 perpetual. I assume that the free CC will simply expire in due course but that my Lr perpetual will stay as version 6.5

If I have understood this lark correctly, to update a version of Lr6 (perpetual) you have to take the CC free membership (even if you have no intention to take up the CC version) and just let it expire. If this is correct, next time Lr6 is updated and I get the CC update message I will simply click download and accept the CC updates. I was of course getting the original CC update messages as I understand Lr automatically checks for updates.

If anyone knows a better/correct way of updating Lr perpetual I would be interested to know as having to download the whole CC free trial every time seems a bit odd and to my mind risks more things going wrong than downloading a simple update patch for my Lr perpetual version.
Thanks,
Terry.

I know nothing about a free version of CC. Adobe builds only one version of LR. The differences in what you experience in that version is in the Adobe license that you own or do not own. If you do not own a license then LR installs a LRCC trial which gives you 30 days to evaluate all of the features of the full product. After thirty days, the app stops working until you purchase one of the two types of license. If you own a Perpetual license, some of the functionality and features are not available to you. These include access to LR Mobile, and any new functionality added since LR6.0 came out. If you own a subscription, you are entitled to all of the features and functionality of LRCC.

I know nothing about a free version of CC. Adobe builds only one version of LR. The differences in what you experience in that version is in the Adobe license that you own or do not own. If you do not own a license then LR installs a LRCC trial which gives you 30 days to evaluate all of the features of the full product. After thirty days, the app stops working until you purchase one of the two types of license. If you own a Perpetual license, some of the functionality and features are not available to you. These include access to LR Mobile, and any new functionality added since LR6.0 came out. If you own a subscription, you are entitled to all of the features and functionality of LRCC.

Thanks for the reply Cletus. When I say free version of CC I do mean the 30 day trial offer that you mention. All I really wanted to do was update my perpetual licence of Lightroom (LR6.3) to the latest Lightroom version 6.5. I think I read somewhere that until an LRCC7 comes along Adobe allows perpetual license owners (like me) to update the Lightroom 6 they purchased with the latest Lightroom 6 update, which I have now done. In doing that download I also seem to have received the 30 day trail of the full LRCC subscription product and perhaps that's the only way it's done but I wasn't sure. I know that after the 30 day trail I won't have the extra features of the full LRCC subscription product but will still have (I hope!) LR6.5 i.e. the perpetual licence I bought last year but with Lightroom version 6.5 installed instead of Lightroom version 6.3.

I have Victoria's excellent book (The Missing FAQ) that mentions that perpetual licence owners get updates of Lightroom as a patch installer rather than the whole programme but I'm not sure if the way I downloaded the latest version (6.5) was the correct way to do it but it seems to have worked.
Cheers,
Terry.

Hi Terry

Yes, there is a "Free" CC which just means they've linked your Adobe ID with a basic account which gives you 2GB of free CC storage, which can come in handy if you use any of the mobile apps.

If you run into any problems when the trial comes to an end (or you want to end it early), just follow these instructions: How to convert a Lightroom CC trial to Lightroom 6

I'm not entirely sure why the update dropped you into a trial, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back