• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module Updating Develop Presets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Sholder

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic v8.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
In looking through some of my presets, I find that most are a normal looking font while others are darker and in italic, why? My guess is something in the preset isn't compatible with the current version of light room.

This looks like it can be updated by right clicking and selecting "Update with current settings" after it has been applied to the image. I'd imagine that the image selected should have no other settings that have been modified.

What other gotcha's should I look out for when doing this?

Thanks,
Kevin

In looking through some of my presets, I find that most are a normal looking font while others are darker and in italic, why? My guess is something in the preset isn't compatible with the current version of light room.
Good guess but incorrect. In fact the preset in question is incompatible with the currently selected image, due to the profile it contains (or rather doesn't).

When a preset is created you can choose to include all or only some of the develop settings, including the currently selected Profile. Some profiles are camera specific (Camera Faithful, Camera Landscape etc) so if you select an image from a different camera that profile may not be available and the preset will display the partial compatibility/missing profile warning. For example I have both Canon and Fuji cameras. When I opt to develop a Fuji file Adobe displays its version of the Fuji specific film emulation profiles. If I create a preset with one of these selected and then switch to a Canon file the preset will display the partial incompatibility error.

Some profiles are also specific to RAW files (not JPEG) and so a preset that uses them will display the partial incompatibility error if you are editing a JPEG.

And there's now a new Preference setting on the Preferences>Presets tab which allows you to show or hide those "Partially Compatible Develop Presets".

Thank you for the replies. I'm more interested in updating them. In looking directly at the XMP and doing a compare within Lightroom comparing the settings, nothing looks out of place. I found what the settings were that it changed and updated those. My guess is that it has to due with the process version as some use either the graduated or radial filters, which in the update dialog sets the process version and it can't be changed. As most set the profile to Adobe Color, Adobe Monochrome or Adobe Standard, which in turn then the treatment is either color or B&W.

Which does bring up a related question, I've been using color profiles for my cameras for a while create by X-Rite. How would you create a B&W profile that is camera specific?

Thanks,
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back