• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Updated LR and now fans spinning at top speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgphotography

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I updated to the latest version last week and immediately my CPU usage and fans are spinning out of control while in the develop module doing basic editing. Within seconds of leaving LR the fans and CPU spin down as you can see in the attached iStat Menu screenshot in the CPU section where it suddenly lowers towards the right (that is the amount of time it took me to click out of LR and up to my Finder menu).

Also I now have a 2 second delay when I click on a photo before it shows me the image rendered properly (the blacks/shadows get a half-stop darker).

I've tried turning off "Use Graphics Processor" in preferences but there is no difference.

Hoping someone can help me understand what changes there have been in this new release that I can fix. I'm pretty sure my computer should be able to handle it.

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 10.53.23 AM.png

Lightroom Classic version: 8.4 [ 201908011719-03751b60 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.14.6 [18G87]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 4.2 GHz
Built-in memory: 24,576.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 24,576.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 9,430.2 MB (38.3%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 24,148.8 MB
Memory cache size: 1,764.1MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 11.4 [ 273 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1153MB / 12287MB (9%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1180MB / 24576MB (4%)
Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 575

How do you have Preferences-->Performance set? Did you select all your images and update them all to Current Process (v5)?

I updated to the latest version last week and immediately my CPU usage and fans are spinning out of control while in the develop module doing basic editing. Within seconds of leaving LR the fans and CPU spin down as you can see in the attached iStat Menu screenshot in the CPU section where it suddenly lowers towards the right (that is the amount of time it took me to click out of LR and up to my Finder menu).

Also I now have a 2 second delay when I click on a photo before it shows me the image rendered properly (the blacks/shadows get a half-stop darker).

I've tried turning off "Use Graphics Processor" in preferences but there is no difference.

Hoping someone can help me understand what changes there have been in this new release that I can fix. I'm pretty sure my computer should be able to handle it.

View attachment 12915
Lightroom Classic version: 8.4 [ 201908011719-03751b60 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.14.6 [18G87]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 4.2 GHz
Built-in memory: 24,576.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 24,576.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 9,430.2 MB (38.3%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 24,148.8 MB
Memory cache size: 1,764.1MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 11.4 [ 273 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1153MB / 12287MB (9%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1180MB / 24576MB (4%)
Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 575
I have a similar issue. Even in the library mode and doing nothing at all... the Mac has even turned off the screen... the fans are tuning periodically and the mac book is very hot

If you click on the Activity Center, does it say it's doing anything? I'm wondering if it's building previews or syncing or something like that.

I've done some experimenting. Sometimes my Mac runs hot/fans overnight even after I have closed all programs and restarted to empty OSX. Time for a visit to the genius bar I guess... but I don't think its an LR issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back