• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Update Metadata Functional Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 12.0.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I saw that the metadata was out of a sync on a TIFF file that I had performed an EDIT-IN to Topaz Denoise. When I selected import from photo, it reset all of the changes I'd made since the return from Topaz. In the past, I thought it only updated metadata like EXIF or IPTC. Is this a change or just something I hadn't noticed before? Thanks

It depends on whether you have Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP set or you did Metadata > Save Metadata To File after making your changes. If neither, what happened is expected:

1. You did Edit In > Topaz, which wrote a snapshot of all the metadata into the TIFF passed to Topaz.

2. You saved from Topaz, which wrote its changes into the TIFF.

3. LR imported the TIFF, including the metadata saved from step 1.

4. You made a change to the metadata of the TIFF, which were recorded in the catalog but not in the TIFF.

5. You did Metadata > Read Metadata From File or Import Settings From Disk.

6. LR replaced the metadata in the catalog with the settings saved in the TIFF at steps 1 and 2, overwriting the metadata in the catalog from step 4.

Thanks @johnrellis. I did some Googling and I think it was my misperception. I was thinking the metadata out of sync message related to the metadata referenced under the Metadata tab only and not all metadata.

Yeah, in common usage, "metadata" is ambiguous -- it can mean everything recorded in EXIF, IPTC, XMP, etc. or it can just refer to the fields in the Metadata panel.

Analogous to "catalog": Sometimes Adobe and users are referring to the database files and the cataloged photos, and other times they mean just the database files proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back