• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Update DNG Previews & Metadata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Sholder

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom v8.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I understand that the command found when having multiple files selected and you right click Metadata -> Save Metadata to Files does as well as the Update DNG Previews & Metadata from pp. 346-347 of The Missing FAQ.

Is there a situation or specific reason that you would choose the Update DNG Previews & Metadata over purely Save Metadata to Files?

Thanks,
Kevin

Sure. It changes the imbedded preview in the DNG file to the edited version. A lot of apps don't display the raw image in a raw file (and DNGs are raw), but display the embedded preview. Even though the DNG image hasn't been updated, the preview will show as if it has.

Hal,

So the DNG embedded preview doesn't always get updated? It only shows what the settings are via the catalog are, UNLESS you update the embedded preview file, is that correct?

I thought that as you made changes to the DNG it would also update the embedded preview as well? Even if the "Automatically write changes into XMP" is checked.

Sounds as if the XMP is separate from the embedded preview then? If that's the case, OK, just trying to completely understand.

Thanks,
Kevin

All raw files have an embedded preview. They come from the camera that way. They are only used as a LR preview briefly, until LR has a chance to build its own. Saving metadata to the DNG files doesn't change the embedded preview. As you found, there's a special command to do that.

I have an interesting bug in Lightroom Classic Build [201910151439-b660523e] to report: I'm importing CR3 files from my Canon EOS R, and I apply the Camera Portrait v2 color profile. I then proceed to convert the file to DNG, then I update all previews. All good so far. Then I proceed to Save Metadata to Files - Ok so far. Then when I "Update DNG Preview & Metadata" the bug appears. After the update completes, all my files show in the Develop module and history panel that a "Reset Settings" action has been applied - The action is literally resetting my edits! All my colours default back to the Adobe Color profile. I'm at a loss. Normally, updating the preview inside the DNG file should effect in the DNG preview the developer edits I've made in Lightroom. This has to be a bug right?

Edit: I tried the above process to try to reproduce with "Adobe Monochrome" and didn't get a "Reset Settings" occurring. It may be the "Camera Portrait v2" is specifically causing the issue? I'll continue testing and update this post.

Last edited:
I have an interesting bug in Lightroom Classic Build [201910151439-b660523e] to report: I'm importing CR3 files from my Canon EOS R, and I apply the Camera Portrait v2 color profile. I then proceed to convert the file to DNG, then I update all previews. All good so far. Then I proceed to Save Metadata to Files - Ok so far. Then when I "Update DNG Preview & Metadata" the bug appears. After the update completes, all my files show in the Develop module and history panel that a "Reset Settings" action has been applied - The action is literally resetting my edits! All my colours default back to the Adobe Color profile. I'm at a loss. Normally, updating the preview inside the DNG file should effect in the DNG preview the developer edits I've made in Lightroom. This has to be a bug right?

Edit: I tried the above process to try to reproduce with "Adobe Monochrome" and didn't get a "Reset Settings" occurring. It may be the "Camera Portrait v2" is specifically causing the issue? I'll continue testing and update this post.

I think I've discovered the cause at a high level. If I do "Save Metadata to Files" followed by "Update DNG Preview & Metadata" then my history shows "Reset Settings" and I lose my color profile edits in Lightroom. The preview in the DNG file IS however accurately reflecting the color profile choice at the time of updating the DNGs. I have now removed what appears to be both a problematic and redundant "Save Metadata to Files" step from my workflow.

I think I've discovered the cause at a high level. If I do "Save Metadata to Files" followed by "Update DNG Preview & Metadata" then my history shows "Reset Settings" and I lose my color profile edits in Lightroom.
That shouldn't happen, i.e. you shouldn't see "Reset Settings" in the history panel. I've tried to reproduce what you've reported, but I'm not able to. When converting a raw file to DNG (and I'm using CR3s from an EOS R, the same as you), the history panel should show a "From Metadata" step. Subsequently doing Ctrl+S (Save Metadata to File) does not add anything to the history, then the following Update DNG Preview & Metadata produces another "From Metadata" step and the file remains as it was, i.e. no reset.
Check again, and tell me where exactly that "Reset Settings" step appears in the history panel, i.e. after the Save Metadata to File, or after the Update DNG Preview & Metadata.

That shouldn't happen, i.e. you shouldn't see "Reset Settings" in the history panel. I've tried to reproduce what you've reported, but I'm not able to. When converting a raw file to DNG (and I'm using CR3s from an EOS R, the same as you), the history panel should show a "From Metadata" step. Subsequently doing Ctrl+S (Save Metadata to File) does not add anything to the history, then the following Update DNG Preview & Metadata produces another "From Metadata" step and the file remains as it was, i.e. no reset.
Check again, and tell me where exactly that "Reset Settings" step appears in the history panel, i.e. after the Save Metadata to File, or after the Update DNG Preview & Metadata.
Hi Jim, are you applying an Adobe color profile or a Camera color profile? Try applying Camera Profile v2 specifically. I can reproduce with Save Metadata to File, immediately followed by Update DNG Preview and Metadata. Also, what is your specific build - Same as mine?

I'm using the same build as you, and it doesn't matter which camera profile I use (and yes, I did specifically use Camera Portrait v2 as well as others). You didn't answer my question, i.e. after which procedure does the "Reset Settings" history step occur....Save Metadata or Update DNG Preview?

I'm using the same build as you, and it doesn't matter which camera profile I use (and yes, I did specifically use Camera Portrait v2 as well as others). You didn't answer my question, i.e. after which procedure does the "Reset Settings" history step occur....Save Metadata or Update DNG Preview?
Reset Settings in history occurs after "Update DNG Preview & Metadata" option, subsequent to the Save Metadata to Files option.

I suggest you try resetting the LR Preferences then, as that can often correct obscure issues such as that.: How do I reset Lightroom's Preferences? | The Lightroom Queen

If that doesn't fix the problem, it would be a good idea to report the problem directly to Adobe using the link at the top of the page.

Thanks Jim for your support. I've reset my preferences and the issue still occurs, even without Saving Metadata to Files and performing Update DNG Previews & Metadata exclusively. It is odd, because not all files encounter the issue in the import collection, but most do. I've logged the bug via the link you directed me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back