Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
Happy New Year to you!
1. When I go to import images, every drive and volume attached to my computer shows up. I don't understand why I can't set a preference to show only selected drives and volumes. For example my computer has a 'recovery volume' which has a different letter but is really just a partition on my internal drive. I do not want it showing up for someone to accidentally have to mess with. How can I accomplish that?
2. I find it incredibly annoying that when importing ...one has to drill down through the my computer to the C drive then navigate to one's "Pictures" folder. Why doesn't Lightroom present that as a default in the first place.? Any other photo related program or app does that.
3. Sometimes I import directly from my phone to my pictures folders because I cannot for the life of me ...manage the import process properly in Lightroom for that. It is difficult to get photos to drop into my folder structure 2018/201812/20181203 ...which is where I would like any photos taken on 20121203 to automatically be stored. Lightroom just creates new folders outside of 2018 and even sub folders in those. I have my Destination set to Organize by Date with date format set to 20181231. No matter what, I have to do a seperate import for each and every date ...and images from a cell phone with labels like "20180905_171947.jpg", seem to cause LR to go haywire so I end up creating folders manually in Explorer, copying the images in and then manually importing them from source into the LR catalog. Not sure why LR doesn't seem to get when they were taken and import them into date folders the way I would prefer. Overall I find the import process to be getting worse. My current version of LR Classic CC is 8.1.

I-See-Light

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I will attempt some replies to your questions.
1. I do not know a way to 'hide' drive sources.
If you are 'Adding' existing files from your Hard-drives, Import every photo from every drive. You will only need to do this once, then you can generally ignore the drive sources.
For your Camera Card imports set up an Import Preset and import directly from the card to the permanent location for the files. Your camera card should not be too difficult to select in the list of Drive name sources.

2. You could also make use of the Source Drop-down list that saves your 'popular' import sources.
ScreenShot167.jpg

3. Study the subtle differences for the options in the Destination panel.
I have given some suggestions to a similar question at- how to get rid of subfolder on import of photos... | Adobe Community
I do not believe the Import Process has changed. (Adobe tried once, CC2015.2 v6.2) but the uproar was deafening. They changed it back!)

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Thanks to both of you. I guess one has to put up with seeing all the connected drives. Sure would be nice if LR had a dialog to checkmark only those one wished to have visible with an option to "Show All" or "Show Selected".
Getting them from the phone to the camera is still pretty cumbersome. Normally toward the end of a year I create all the next year's monthly folders in LR, so I already have folder 2019 with sub folders 201901 through 201912. That way in LR I can get them into the right one by selecting it and having LR create a folder for each date as a sub folder

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Hi again,
Further to this I'd really like to know more about the "Dock the Folder" option, as it seems to apply only to the current import.
To get to my photos I must:
Select the C drive
Select Users
Select myself
Select Pictures
Select the Year
Select the Month
Select the Day
Finally I'm at the photos I want to import.
There is a Dock the Folder option. I'd like to at least have the Year Folder appear as a default to select from so on the Year folder, I right click and select "Dock the Folder".
Whole lot of good that does ...on the next import it is no longer visible and I have to drill down through the entire Windows folder structure to get to it again.
Surely Adobe has engineered a more straightforward way to get to the current year's pictures to import from. (I need this because I am finding the Import Dialog very skunky when importing from Phones. Getting the pictures to drop into the right folder is horrible and more than half the time it misses the GPS data entirely, whereas if I simply drag and drop them from the phone's DCIF folder into the folder I want them in ...eg. 2019\201901, everything is there.

I-See-Light

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
"I create all the next year's monthly folders in LR,
I have to drill down through the entire Windows folder structure
Getting the pictures to drop into the right folder is horrible
drag and drop them from the phone's DCIF folder into the folder I want them in . "

None of this is necessary!
Have you read the link provided by Victoria in Post#3?

You connect your phone or camera which appears in the 'Source', You use a 'Folder' destination format in the Import dialog, the imported files are saved exactly in the the right folder location. (And 'Save' Import presets to make it even easier)
Do some reading on the best suggested method to import your photos.

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
If you click on 'Select a source' at the top left of the import panel, then you'll get a list of recently used folders. Maybe that will help.
Thank you for this information. I've always assumed one had to start by selecting something below the word SOURCE. The FROM option gives exactly what I needed. Much obliged!!