• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Unwanted copies of pictures

royvonw

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
LR 6.9 perp. license
Operating System
macOS 10.11 El Capitan
Hi,
A significant amount of my pictures have had unwanted multiple copies (example in screenprint). I don't know how this was caused, and how I can delete these copies in a simple way without any problems. Can anyone explain this and offer a solution ?? Thanks very much !

Roy vW.
(Imac 27" 2010)

Schermafbeelding 2020-07-30 om 21.49.02.png

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
You will have to do a bit of searching first. These may not be ordinary copies which can be removed. They are not virtual copies either. The images all show the exact same file name, which is impossible unless they are located in different folders. So what source did you select?

royvonw

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hi,
A significant amount of my pictures have had unwanted multiple copies (example in screenprint). I don't know how this was caused, and how I can delete these copies in a simple way without any problems. Can anyone explain this and offer a solution ?? Thanks very much !

Roy vW.
(Imac 27" 2010)

View attachment 15071
Thanks for reply Johan,
the source is all content of my main LR- map
You will have to do a bit of searching first. These may not be ordinary copies which can be removed. They are not virtual copies either. The images all show the exact same file name, which is impossible unless they are located in different folders. So what source did you select?
Thanks for reply.
The source is my main LR-map with all pictures. Is this what you mean ?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
The source is my main LR-map with all pictures. Is this what you mean ?
No, it's not. I don't suppose you have all your images in one single folder, so 'my main LR map ('map' is the Dutch word for 'folder') is not what I mean. If you do have such a folder, then no doubt there will be subfolders in there. Or maybe you mean 'All Photographs', which is not a folder but a collection. Can you post a screenshot that shows the left panel too?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
You would make my life a lot easier if you did not cut off all those screenshots. This first screenshot does not show any duplicates, so it's useless. The second screenshot does not tell me anything either, because these are images with different names. Of course you can have duplicates with different names, and then it's simply a matter of deleting one of them. But in your original post you showed four images that all seem to have the exact same name...

BobMc

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x
Collections, selecting a parent folder (with “Show photos in Subfolders” selected) or selecting multiple folder directly can all show images with the same file name.

What the original post shows that I do NOT know how to do is, how to show Rotation Buttons on one selected image which is not the most selected.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
The likely explanation is that those duplicates exist in different sub-folders....you have a parent folder "Lightroom" selected, which has lots of sub-folders. To verify that, select image number 9504 from your screenshot and right-click on it and select "Go to Folder in Library". That will change the selection in the Folders Panel to the specific sub-folder containing that one image. Make a note of the folder name, then go back to the original "Lightroom" selection and repeat for image number 9505 and then again for image number 9506. Assuming that shows three different sub-folders, then you'll need to investigate to try to figure out why the images are duplicated. With a date-based folder scructure it really shouldn't be possible, so perhaps show us screenshots of the Folders Panel with each of the sub-folders highlighted.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
What the original post shows that I do NOT know how to do is, how to show Rotation Buttons on one selected image which is not the most selected.
Simple, select one image then move the cursor over another....the rotation buttons show up when the cursor is on any thumbnail, selected ot not.

royvonw

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Gents,
The suggestion to look in the library 'show photos in subfolders' has been the solution for my problem !
With 1 click (out ...) all numbers are honest again (and I know now that the photos in subfolders can be visible and invisible ... I better read the LR- book Kelby again ..)

Thanks very much for the supprt of all of you !!

Roy

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Gents,
The suggestion to look in the library 'show photos in subfolders' has been the solution for my problem !
With 1 click (out ...) all numbers are honest again (and I know now that the photos in subfolders can be visible and invisible ... I better read the LR- book Kelby again ..)

Thanks very much for the supprt of all of you !!

Roy
No, I think you should take a good look at your folders again instead of that book. You can switch off 'Show Photos in Subfolders', but that only hides the fact that you do have multiple copies of the same image, spread out over different subfolders.