• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Unresponsiveness of LR 9.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Have been having issues with LR 9.2.1 for a few weeks now. If left open and not saved entire folders are greyed out and upon clicking on a greyed image, the screen says it's loading. It doesn't. I've had to close LR and reopen and then all is well. Today, all is not well: LR does not open at all and have had to force quit. Any ideas on reason and a fix? Many thanks

How much free space is on your primary disk for working storage and the Swapfile? How much RAM on the computer?

If both of these answers are adequate, then open one empty catalog and import a few photos. Is LR anymore responsive with a new catalog?

Depending upon your answers, there are further steps to be taken to isolate the issue.

I have 496.8 GB available out of 1.12. My RAM is 32 GB. Have no idea what a Swapfile is.
How do I open an empty catalog? LR doesn't open. Should I try opening a backup?

How recent was the upgrade to Catalina?

To Open Lightroom with a new catalog Press and hold the {Optn} key while clicking on the Lightroom Classic app icon. You can then choose a new catalog from the dialog that opens.
If this does not help, You may need to reset the preferences file located in /Users/{userID}/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Preferences/. Press the {Optn} key while clicking on the {Go}menu item in Finder to expose the Library submenu item. Rename preferences and restart Lightroom Classic. This will force Lightroom Classic to create a fresh Preferences file.

I upgraded to Catalina shortly after it was released.
The Option key worked, I opened a new catalog and successfully imported 4 images. Now how do I return to my original catalog where all my images/edits reside?
Thanks again for your help!

I upgraded to Catalina shortly after it was released.
The Option key worked, I opened a new catalog and successfully imported 4 images. Now how do I return to my original catalog where all my images/edits reside?
Thanks again for your help!
Now we need to determine where the problem lies with your existing catalog.
Rename the preferences file as I instructed to force Lightroom to create a new preferences file. Thenopen your original catalog and report whether Lightroom is now responsive or if the problem exists.

Should the problem be in a corrupt master catalog file, how recent is your last catalog back up and do you have a backup catalog that represents the state of Lightroom before this problem started?

I can not find the path to rename the preferences file. Could you please elaborate? What would I rename the file when I find it?
I believe I do have earlier backups I could resort to

the preferences file located in /Users/{userID}/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Preferences/. Press the {Optn} key while clicking on the {Go}menu item in Finder to expose the Library submenu item

I do not seem to have the preferences you refer to

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 12.05.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 12.05.04 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
Drill down in the USERs folder for your user Library. You are showing the System Library.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I restored LR from a recent backup, trashed the catalog that was giving me problems and the backup seems to be working. I just hope that continues. Thanks for your help!

I restored LR from a recent backup, trashed the catalog that was giving me problems and the backup seems to be working. I just hope that continues. Thanks for your help!

That is not what I recommended. I simply asked if you had a recent backup. It does not fix what went wrong. And it might not prevent the issue returning with the back up catalog.

If you are happy with what you have, the neither of us needs to spend any more time on this. If the problem returns, come back and we will dig deeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went to the backup because I needed to get some images out.
You are correct that it did not fix the issue. Today, most (probably all) my images are greyed out. As i said earlier, I could not find the User Library path you told me to follow. I sent a screen shot of my dead end. Where did I err?

I went to the backup because I needed to get some images out.
You are correct that it did not fix the issue. Today, most (probably all) my images are greyed out. As i said earlier, I could not find the User Library path you told me to follow. I sent a screen shot of my dead end. Where did I err?
In the screen shot where you have selected Library, you should have selected "Users" In the "Users" Folder, there is a folder for your User ID, Click on that and you will find your User Library Folder.

When you unzipped the backup catalog file, you need to copy it to the location of your master catalog file before opening it. (Rename the master catalog file temporarily before you copy. Do not delete it ) This will make the relative path from that catalog file to the location of each of your image match what is stored in that backup catalog copy.

Re your first point, I can not find my User Library Folder. I attach a screenshot.

Re your second point, I did precisely that

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 11.20.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-02 at 11.20.04 AM.png
    366.5 KB · Views: 219
Explicitly follow these instructions that I posted previously
Press the {Optn} key while clicking on the {Go} menu item in Finder to expose the Library submenu item. Rename preferences and restart Lightroom Classic. This will force Lightroom Classic to create a fresh Preferences file.

You're going to think I'm a dunce but for the life oof me I can not find the Library submenu. Any other suggestions?
I appreciate your patience!

Library subfolder is a hidden folder, that is why it is not visible when you enter the <USERID> folder. You can make it visable with the actions described by Cletus "Press the {Optn} key while clicking on the {Go} menu item in Finder to expose the Library submenu item."
If you follow these steps you should be able to find this folder and open it.

There is an alternative to secure the present preference folder and that is by using this plugin from John. R. Ellis: snapshotprefs.1.1.zip

Library subfolder is a hidden folder, that is why it is not visible when you enter the <USERID> folder. You can make it visable with the actions described by Cletus "Press the {Optn} key while clicking on the {Go} menu item in Finder to expose the Library submenu item."
If you follow these steps you should be able to find this folder and open it.

There is an alternative to secure the present preference folder and that is by using this plugin from John. R. Ellis: snapshotprefs.1.1.zip
Roelof,

I'm curious as to how you found this plug-in.

Phil Burton

I'm curious as to how you found this plug-in.
I do not remember how i found it but all the plugins I come across i put in an excel sheet to keep overview. Most of the times there is a webpage available with information about the plug-in but i don't believe there is one for this plug-in. John does not mention it on his website.

Last edited:
I haven't publicized my Snapshot Prefs plugin, which automatically maintains snapshots of your preferences file over time. I wrote it as part of a discussion about the architectural design flaws in LR's preferences file:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/phot...t[settings][reply_id]=19950078#reply_19950078
I also posted a simple suggestion for making backup copies of the preferences when the user does Reset Preferences, but Adobe hasn't acted on it:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/phot...ences-should-save-a-backup-of-the-preferences
(Phil and Victoria both voted for the suggestion :->)

Gentlemen, Thank you for your efforts. It's obvious I'm a neophyte in matters software. I do not understand the bowels of LR.
I did manage to find the Preferences folder under Library (screenshot attached )and discovered I have dozens, maybe hundreds, of preferences. Which do I rename? Then restart LR?

The screenshot I mentioned was rejected for being too large. Hopefully this one works

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 3.52.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 3.52.02 PM.png
    650.4 KB · Views: 169
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back