• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! New cameras (including the Canon R5/R6), lens profiles and bug fixes, and the ability to disable built-in lens corrections for specific new cameras. Here's the usual list

Uninstalling Lightroom 5 after install Lightroom 6 CC

SuzImages

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I've read in several places where people have trouble uninstalling Lightroom 5 once Lightroom 6 CC is installed. Is there a good clean way to uninstall Lightroom 5 on my Macbook Pro Yosemite? My catalog is in Lightroom 6, so I don't want to mess anything up with 6.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
The Apps are completely separate and share no program components. In OS X an app is contained in an app package in the App folder. LR5 and LRCC are no different. I think the intention of Adobe is to manage installs and uninstalls through the App Manager. However, though LR5 shows as an installed app in the App Manager, the uninstall option is non selectable (grayed out). The simple option of dragging the app package from the app folder to the trash can works for all OS X apps.

SuzImages

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
The Apps are completely separate and share no program components. In OS X an app is contained in an app package in the App folder. LR5 and LRCC are no different. I think the intention of Adobe is to manage installs and uninstalls through the App Manager. However, though LR5 shows as an installed app in the App Manager, the uninstall option is non selectable (grayed out). The simple option of dragging the app package from the app folder to the trash can works for all OS X apps.
I have attached a screen shot of my app folder. I'm not sure which file I need to send to trash.
Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
It should be the file called "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5." But why delete it? Do you need to extra space on your hard drive?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
The simple option of dragging the app package from the app folder to the trash can works for all OS X apps.
Cletus: Doesn't dragging an OS X app to the trash only delete the app file/package itself from the Applications folder, leaving all the support and ancillary files (such as those contained in ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences) intact, whereas a well-behaved uninstaller will be able to delete those other files as well (because the uninstaller should know where all these other files are)? Admittedly, there is certainly no harm in leaving those other files in place.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Much of the "support and ancillary" stuff is a shared resource between all installed versions of Lightroom, e.g. user presets....
Right you are! So I am certainly not suggesting that anyone should actually manually go into those folders and try to delete things on their own. Therein lies disaster! I personally only ever use the manufacturer supplied uninstaller to delete any of those files in the support folders. Presumably the folks that wrote the uninstall program know which files can be safely deleted and what should be left alone.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Being a newbie to OSX, I have no idea how dragging to the trash works for uninstalling an application, but clearly it does as few apps seem to have an uninstaller. Lightroom didn't in earlier releases, but note that with LR6 one is included in the app folder, and it is now required to be used. We're not entirely sure what happens if you follow old methods and just drag to trash, but suspect it'll mess with the associated CC app in due course, making future updating/patching more problematic.

SuzImages

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
It should be the file called "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5." But why delete it? Do you need to extra space on your hard drive?
I don't need the extra space, I just like to keep a "clean" and organized hard drive.

snerd

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I don't need the extra space, I just like to keep a "clean" and organized hard drive.
I removed my 5.7 before installing CC. Nothing to it. It doesn't touch your photos, as they're in another folder(s), and installing CC picks up those folders.

mcasan

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
There are 3 main parts to Lightroom: the app, the catalog, the master images sitting in folders. If you delete the app, the catalog and images should still be sitting there until you either delete them or have a new LR app installation use them.

sue.block

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I have a Mac and Lightroom CC 6.3

I would like to uninstall Lightroom 5.7 as space is an issue for me on my computer.

However, If for some reason I do not wish to use CC any longer will I have still access to the fully paid version? i.e. can I just update Lightroom 5.7?

Sue

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
No, sorry....you can't just update LR5.7. If you want to stop your CC subscription but continue to use the perpetual license version of LR6 you'd still need to buy an upgrade license.