• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

unexpected error opening catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

Lightroom Version Number
classic latest
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
  2. Windows 10
Hi
I have my catalog on an external drive that I swap between my desktop - windows 7 machine and my laptop - windows 10 machine. Yesterday I found the above error code meaning I couldn't open the catalog on either machine. On investigation I found that the the containing folder was set to Read-only in attributes so I unticked this thinking that was the issue (I hope I haven't ruined anything). But it still won't open.
Any t

• If the catalog file was closed properly by the machine it was last used on. it should be fine. Several things could have happened though. The Previews index file may have been corrupted. You can temporarily rename the Previews folder and LR will be forced to create a new one when it does open. If that does not solve the problem you will need to look deeper.
  • The HDD has a write ahead buffer and if the HDD was unplugged too soon, it might not have finished. This can cause a problem with the drive.
  • The HDD or the connecting cable could be failing. I hope you have a good backup of everything on the drive if this is the case.
  • If the catalog file is corrupt. open a recent backup catalog and see it it can be used.

Thanks. I had to go through and rebuild from a backup. Luckily fairly recent as I normally do back up on exiting each day I use... show the efficacy of this ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back