Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic 9.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Helooo everybody,
I have picked up my camera for the first time in a while and am experimenting with shooting into the sun and also trying to pick up some skills in lightroom. I have one shot (without polarizer) shot into a low sun, where there is a very prominent darker corner. I want to even out the sky but am having difficulties with the graduated filter application - it does not appear as a smooth transition. Any tips?
hylands path into sun-1.jpg

mr-rwnorris

ocapitao
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
just to be clear, the current photo only has one graduated filter applied within lightroom, on the top third of the photo. I did try one i the top right corner, but found the gradient to be too obvious.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
In addition to Sara's good advice, you could also try the radial filter with the center pin at the bottom of the image - so you are just working with an arc across the top of the image that mimics the boundary of the darker sky. Or multiple graduated filters could also work. I tried it with a quick screen grab and the results looked promising but I didn't push it too far.

aces1200

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Not sure if this is what's happening in your case, but did you try moving the handles on the graduated filter so that they are further apart? This would make the transition smoother. I would think the graduated filter would handle this nicely.