• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Understanding the use of the Adobe Cloud storage by CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Fairorth

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom CC 2.1.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello Friends!

I've been a user of Lightroom for many years but not so much the past few, and now I'm trying to get back into it with CC. Most of my photos currently reside in Google Drive.

In order to import into CC, I created a local drive and sync'ed it up with Google drive, and then ran an import from CC on that local drive. It contains 18,500 images, and now my All Photos library indicates this many photos. I also got a warning banner across the top of CC saying "cloud storage is almost full. Upgrade to keep things running smoothly". This has me a bit confused.

Is Adobe pushing a copy out to my cloud storage? I thought the library only contained a link to the actual file which still remained in place. If there are images getting pushed out to the Adobe cloud, does this mean I can now safely remove them from the Google cloud? I am not seeing any files when I click Assets from the Creative Cloud app, either on my folder or on the web. But it says 85 GB has been used.

Can someone please help me understand the Adobe cloud usage and CC.

Thanks in advance!

Marc

I have a single LR library for my personal and professional work. I do not use LR CC on the desktop. I do not want all photos imported or added to my LR library to use up space in the Adobe cloud; I want to choose which photos will be in the cloud. Is there any way to accomplish this? I create shared collections with my chosen photos. But I don't know how to stop from syncing or delete photos I don't want in the cloud, which is the majority of my photos.

Yes, just keep using Lightroom Classic, not LRCC, and choose which photos you put in those shared collections. Only those photos will be synced to the cloud, and those photos won't use any of your cloud space.

What Adobe's cloud + LRCC implementation feels like is a rushed effort to get into the "cloud space" to compete with other services that were much earlier to the table with their own cloud stuff. As a result, it is kludgy, because it wasn't designed at the same time as their desktop application.

This isn't to criticize, just to observe.

If I could make a timely (and quite tragic) analogy, it would be to what it appears Boeing did with the 737MAX. They wanted to get the plane into the air as quickly as possible in order not to lose market share to AirBus, who was quicker to market with a "modern" single-aisle aircraft. So they decided to modify an existing airframe (the 737) rather than design from scratch. New heavier engines to increase range. The new engines couldn't be mounted at the same place as the earlier-model engines. Whoops! That resulted in a tendency to have the nose go up, risking a stall. The fix? Create a new indicator (angle of attack) and some new software that would automatically push the nose down when it detected the possibility of a stall.

The 737Max is obviously a terrible series of events, and I'm not sure I would ever accept comparing it with Adobe's approach to cloud storage in any way - no more than I would compare their approach to Brexit ;)

But I accept there are kludges and rough edges. One can also spin those as Adobe pivoting to meet customers' needs and changing technology though, and just like Apple and Google make bad moves and have weaknesses in their cloud/media offerings, so does Adobe. I wouldn't deny that there is self-inflicted damage too - eg subscription-only, confusing product naming, and premature release of the cloud-dependent "Lightroom CC".

It's on my to do list John! I think it's going to need more than a single article, but all this sync stuff is on my agenda.
Victoria have you done an article on syncing as I have made a problem for myself which it might solve?

I have always used classic but recently installed CC version on the same laptop. As part of the installation it copied all the photos on my laptop to the cloud and almost filled the cloud storage. I would rather only use the cloud for selective storage but if I delete the cloud stored files will it delete the files in the classic catalog?

Thanks

Warren

I have always used classic but recently installed CC version on the same laptop. As part of the installation it copied all the photos on my laptop to the cloud and almost filled the cloud storage. I would rather only use the cloud for selective storage but if I delete the cloud stored files will it delete the files in the classic catalog?
It depends on what you actually did. LRCC will not automatically "copy all the photos on the laptop to the cloud" as part of the installation, so either you used the "Add Photos" option in LRCC to import some or all of your laptop photos, or you synced some or all of them from within the Classic catalog. However, the second option seems unlikely as that would only upload smart previews which do not count against your cloud storage allowance.

In either case, yes you can delete the cloud files (but that must be done from within one of the LRCC apps).....that will not delete them from the classic catalog (though it will "unsync" them).

Victoria have you done an article on syncing as I have made a problem for myself which it might solve?

Sounds like you migrated the Lightroom Classic catalog to Lightroom CC. That is not part of the installation, however.

Still making its way up my priority list, sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like you migrated the Lightroom Classic catalog to Lightroom CC. That is not part of the installation, however.
John I think you are correct - I am still using the Classic Catalog. Can I delete the CC files and create just a CC catalog for when i want to use CC without deleting the Classic catalog.

It depends on what you actually did. LRCC will not automatically "copy all the photos on the laptop to the cloud" as part of the installation, so either you used the "Add Photos" option in LRCC to import some or all of your laptop photos, or you synced some or all of them from within the Classic catalog. However, the second option seems unlikely as that would only upload smart previews which do not count against your cloud storage allowance.

In either case, yes you can delete the cloud files (but that must be done from within one of the LRCC apps).....that will not delete them from the classic catalog (though it will "unsync" them).
Thank you

John I think you are correct - I am still using the Classic Catalog. Can I delete the CC files and create just a CC catalog for when i want to use CC without deleting the Classic catalog.
Yes, you can. The Lightroom Classic catalog is separate from your Lightroom CC cloud library, and deleting images in Lightroom CC does not delete them from Lightroom Classic.

You can migrate the Lightroom Classic catalog to Lightroom CC, which means your entire catalog will be copied to the cloud. Or you can sync the catalog, which means that only certain collections are synced (but everything uploaded by Lightroom CC will sync down to Lightroom Classic). Or you can keep the two entirely separated and not sync anything from Lightroom Classic to the cloud. That choice is yours.

Edits do transfer completely. The camera raw engine that drives them both is identical, but a few tools just don't have a UI in CC yet. It's just some metadata (keywords, people, etc.) that doesn't so far.

The issue is that Classic is built around a local storage paradigm. When you start syncing photos to the cloud, both the cloud and the local hard drive want to be in charge of the originals. You get a "too many cooks in the kitchen" situation, and a whole bunch of conflicts resulting.

They started out trying to build it into Classic but there were just too many complications, which is why they're building CC. It's not as feature rich as Classic yet, but it's getting there. Since you do want your photos in the cloud, which features are you still missing that's stopping you moving over?
Printing, that's the #1 reason. I print to my Canon Pro 100 printer all the time.
#2 is the sheer number of prints I cull through. I shoot BMX and Mountain Bike races and it's not uncommon for me to bring 1000+ photos back. My flow right now is to bring them into classic and let them auto adjust to get a somewhat useable set to cull from (I tend to underexpose some on my 80d as I can recover dark but not highlights) and then let the smart previews synch to the cloud so I can cull from my iPad if I am not in internet range by downloading them. So I'm worried about the time it would take to upload all of those.

If I could keep them local until I did the first cull it would be awesome. I'd happily pay for photomechanic but that's not available on an ipad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back