• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

understanding iphone xs images into Lightroom and HDR like behavior

ipanema

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Lightroom classic 11.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hello, I am hoping someone here can help with some confusion on my part. I am culling a catalog of several thousand photos I took three years ago with an Iphone XS. In lightroom, there are many sets of two very similar images. The first image looks slightly out of focus compared to the second. The second looks slightly blown out compared to the first. (Note: not every photo has a second similar cousin but many do.). In looking at the overlay metadata, shutter-speed, aperture, ISO etc are identical in both images. In choosing the better image I was opting for the sharper one. I am wondering, however if the Iphone is taking an HDR like shot by combining two shots and that lightroom imports these as two separate images. As a test, I merged two of these and it did indeed like light an HDR pic. Can someone clarify?
Thank you in advance...
SG

Attachments

• mustang-1.jpg
    mustang-1.jpg
    973.3 KB · Views: 9
  • mustang-2.jpg
    mustang-2.jpg
    959.5 KB · Views: 10

ipanema

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I should add that I no longer own the iphone xs. I do not see HDR anywhere in the lightroom metadata. However, if I go to the original images on my icloud.com account, the are HDR tags on some of the files. So I dont know if lightroom imports these as separate files or as a "stacked" file...

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
My best guess is that you were using the Lightroom camera and perhaps had it set to HDR mode. There is a setting in the camera to save the unprocessed version as well as the HDR version.

ipanema

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hello, Thank you for your response. I don't use lightroom camera. I dont even have lightroom on my phone. The images were taken using the iphone camera interface and imported into lightroom. Im stumped.