Beetone

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
6.14 (1149743)
Operating System
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I have scanned a substantial number of photos and attempted to import the images into Lightroom. Almost half of the previews displayed
in the "Import" window indicate "Preview unavailable for this file". I have used the same settings to scan all the images and I don't understand
why I am unable to import some of them. Any advice would be appreciated.

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Can you not import them or do you just see that message? The fact that there is no preview in the import window does not necessarily mean that you can’t import them. Lightroom builds its own previews anyway.

Beetone

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Can you not import them or do you just see that message? The fact that there is no preview in the import window does not necessarily mean that you can’t import them. Lightroom builds its own previews anyway.
No - I can't import them. When I attempt to do so, the window goes blank, except for the message "Could not read previews".

Beetone

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Attached is a screen shot of the import dialogue. This was taken after most of the pictures had been imported from the "Temporary' folder, leaving those which I was unable to import.

Attachments

I-See-Light

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Possible that Lightroom recognizes the colon ':' in the file names as an "illegal" character, hence it will not import.
I suggest to rename the files with Mac-Finder and try the import again.

The colon is an illegal character in Windows as in my screen-clip (but I believe that Macs will allow it?)-

ScreenShot048.jpg

Beetone

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I checked the files remaining in the Temporary folder and noted that, in fact, they are labelled "5/97" although the slash in every case is replaced with a colon on the Import dialogue. I have removed the slash on these files and have now successfully imported them. Problem solved, apparently.
My thanks for your help.

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
The Mac allows a slash in the name of a file, but Lightroom does not. For Lightroom it is a path separator. That is why Lightroom can’t import the images. It can’t find them because it is looking for a directory that does not exist.