Unable to restore backups to iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbabe

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
I understand that this is not a tech support group for computer problems, but given the helpful nature of it, I hope that someone might be able to steer me in the right direction. I have had no help from Apple at all.
I have been doing computer backups to my iMac for a number of years, seemingly successfully. Due to a number of issues, Apple suggested I do a wipe of my internal drive, reinstall the OS and then restore my backup from Time machine. The problem is, the backup is on a Synology NAS raid 1 drive. I find out recently that Apple will not support the network drive and Synology has ,so far, not offered a workable or, understandable solution. The backup is unreadable by my mac even though I was able to see the monthly backups when checking Time Machine. Synology suggested an external drive, formatted to exFAT would allow the backup to be read by the Mac. Again, I know this is not the forum but if ANYONE has a place for me to call to get help I would be grateful. Thank you.

PS - have not installed LR again but will as soon as this mess is resolved. Not sure of my latest version of Classic LR.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I take it you've already wiped the internal drive? And the OS is reinstalled, but you just can't restore your backup? Or what's the current state? Ignoring not being able to see it during the reinstall, can you mount the time machine volume as another drive?

(I'm going to move the thread to the lounge as it's not Lightroom-specific, but the discussion is fine)

IIRC, Synology uses a proprietary FileSystem. By copying the Time Machine Backup to an external (non NAS) disk using a non proprietary FileSystem as Sinology suggests, should provide the MacOS with a backup file that the OS can use to restore from.

IIRC, Synology uses a proprietary FileSystem. By copying the Time Machine Backup to an external (non NAS) disk using a non proprietary FileSystem as Sinology suggests, should provide the MacOS with a backup file that the OS can use to restore from.
Cleetus,
I found all that our thre hard way. If an Apple tech had warned me in the beginning, when I was setting up the drives, i would never have continued. I did copy the backup to an external drive I formatted to EX fat. I was then able to eother drag or copy files slowly to the re formatted iMac. a pain in the but but at least I have most of my data. Fortunately, my photos are on an external drive and backed up to yet a second drive both using Carbob Copy Cloner. In the future, i will not be uising the Synology for myTM backups. Might use CCC for everything. Thank you once again.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I take it you've already wiped the internal drive? And the OS is reinstalled, but you just can't restore your backup? Or what's the current state? Ignoring not being able to see it during the reinstall, can you mount the time machine volume as another drive?

(I'm going to move the thread to the lounge as it's not Lightroom-specific, but the discussion is fine)
Victoria, thank you. Merry Christmas/ Seasons Greetings and Happy New year !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back