• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Unable to register for the Summit from my laptop. Site totally blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Tried numerous times. I am not having any problems accessing other sites. Even tried via an incognito window and got same result:
1619307560196.png

Even though it appeared to be a warning, I still couldn't get past it to register on my laptop. Finally resorted to using my phone to register and that worked fine. I didn't try fooling with any settings above since all other sites are working fine and I was a little concerned I could open the gates of hades by clicking on anything there.
I'm registered now so no problem but just wanted to put this out here to learn what might have happened.
Thx.

What virus or malware protection software are you using?

I had no issue with with Window's Defender and Malwarebytes Premium.

Jim

What virus or malware protection software are you using?

I had no issue with with Window's Defender and Malwarebytes Premium.

Jim
Nor I with Norton Lifelock and Malwarebytes Premium.

I have McAfee. I came with this new laptop. When I expand that "Learn More" it shows this:
1619383741252.png

My connection is obviously fine or I wouldn't be able to see every other site I go to.
Chrome is my default browser and already has access to the network so nothing I can do there. I don't really want to remove it for fear of losing or messing up things.
I just tried it again with same results. I even copied and pasted the link into a new Chrome browser with same result.

Also tried it again using Microsoft Edge and got this:
1619384106929.png

I can connect to any other site I want, just not this one.
Got it on my phone anyway so I'm giving up on this.
Thanks for trying to help!

Generally speaking these are things from software you choose to have on your PC, McAfee or otherwise. I realize that "choice" is often forced on you from whom you bought it. But "blocked" is very clearly something at your end. If it said timeout and failed to respond or failed to connect -- maybe the other end.

There are a number of sites that can confirm if a remote website is down, e.g.

Is it down? Check at Down for Everyone or Just Me
Down.com: Is It Down Or Just Me? Find out at Down.com
Is It Down Or Just Me?

(Those are ad supported sites generally, and I have no affiliation).

Basically you enter the same info at that page, it checks it from its computer, and tells you if it is working. If it is, it's your computer. These are very handy since if they also report it down, for most sites (where there is no one to whom to complain) you know you might as well go do something else. And if it's your computer, the first thing I'd try (if it is a legit site for sure) is turn off your anti-virus/firewall and try again. If it goes through, complain to them. The false positive rate on McAfee and Symantec are both pretty high (of course false negatives are far more dangerous than false positives, but false positives are sure annoying).

I have McAfee. I came with this new laptop.
You probably will still have this problem when you try to connect to the site to view the talks.
I would recommend the following:
Turn off McAfee that came with your pc. That is causing your problem.
Then take a 30 day free trial of something that will work, like MalwayeBytes Premium.

As Linwood Ferguson said above, nothing is perfect. But in your case, you know that McAfee is the source of your current problem.

You probably will still have this problem when you try to connect to the site to view the talks.
I would recommend the following:
Turn off McAfee that came with your pc. That is causing your problem.
Then take a 30 day free trial of something that will work, like MalwayeBytes Premium.

As Linwood Ferguson said above, nothing is perfect. But in your case, you know that McAfee is the source of your current problem.
Malwarebytes is designed to work with a primary application for security. If you turn off McAfee, then at a minimum turn on Windows Defender (which is built into Windows 10.)

Personally I run defender only, with the free malwarebytes to do an occasional scan. But then again I'm hyper-aware when browsing or opening email.

Defender is actually not bad. I helped two clients who had exchange vulnerability issues (basically procrastinated patching and were attacked). One had Symantec enterprise, and it did nothing. The other had Defender (only) and it stopped the web shell file from being saved, so they got hacked in a sense -- someone got in through exchange security -- but it did not harm thanks to Defender.

I think Defender gets a bad rap because it's Microsoft. But it mostly just stays aimed at the fundamentals.

McAfee and Symantec on the other hand have gone nuts, trying to get control over every aspect from browser to email clients, to mobile devices, to VPN's, partly for the upsell benefit, and partly (at least some of us believe) as a mild form of spyware, to collect vast amounts of data about what people are doing on their PC (not that Microsoft is innocent of that either). Then they throw in subscription, offer you free VPN ONLY if you sign up for auto-renewal of your subscription. The VPN of course terminates on their servers so THEY can monitor what you do, but not your ISP.

I personally find it distasteful that what was once a simple product you could buy and use has become more like a marriage, with pre-nup and all. I've also heard of people who had horrible times trying to de-install all the components cleanly (Symantec mostly), and finding remnants which still had impact months later.

Greed ruins so many good products.

Personally I run defender only, with the free malwarebytes to do an occasional scan. But then again I'm hyper-aware when browsing or opening email.

Defender is actually not bad. I helped two clients who had exchange vulnerability issues (basically procrastinated patching and were attacked). One had Symantec enterprise, and it did nothing. The other had Defender (only) and it stopped the web shell file from being saved, so they got hacked in a sense -- someone got in through exchange security -- but it did not harm thanks to Defender.

I think Defender gets a bad rap because it's Microsoft. But it mostly just stays aimed at the fundamentals.

McAfee and Symantec on the other hand have gone nuts, trying to get control over every aspect from browser to email clients, to mobile devices, to VPN's, partly for the upsell benefit, and partly (at least some of us believe) as a mild form of spyware, to collect vast amounts of data about what people are doing on their PC (not that Microsoft is innocent of that either). Then they throw in subscription, offer you free VPN ONLY if you sign up for auto-renewal of your subscription. The VPN of course terminates on their servers so THEY can monitor what you do, but not your ISP.

I personally find it distasteful that what was once a simple product you could buy and use has become more like a marriage, with pre-nup and all. I've also heard of people who had horrible times trying to de-install all the components cleanly (Symantec mostly), and finding remnants which still had impact months later.

Greed ruins so many good products.
Greed runs products. So does the pressure to add new features, in order to justify to customers that they need to buy the upgrade, or to continue their subscriptions. One of the dirty little secrets of the software industry. Since Windows Defender is part of Windows, the Defender product team is not under the same pressure.

I have been a Norton security customer since the days when I was shooting Kodachrome, but this recent merger of the Symantec Norton consumer software business with Lifelock has me very disenchanted with all the recent changes. When my free trial with the Lifelock service expires, I'm seriously thinking of switching to Windows Defender, and not just to save money.

Thanks everyone for trying to assist. I called McAfee and the agent got on my system and tweaked the settings and now it works fine. The interesting thing I learned is that they ship the software set up to scan for viruses and do system cleaning at 4AM ...when most computers are turned off. If it can't run then, it goes to the next scheduled date which is a month later at 4AM. With that schedule my laptop would NEVER have been scanned or cleaned. I set it for every other day for both now, so having the connection problem and then learning that and fixing it ...turned out to be a good thing.
On my old laptop I had Windows Defender and Advanced System Care and both were on and working constantly. I'm surprised McAfee doesn't have Popups telling you it has been X number of days since last scanning and computer could be at risk. So ...if anyone has McAfee installed ...check its schedules ....

Thanks everyone for trying to assist. I called McAfee and the agent got on my system and tweaked the settings and now it works fine. The interesting thing I learned is that they ship the software set up to scan for viruses and do system cleaning at 4AM ...when most computers are turned off. If it can't run then, it goes to the next scheduled date which is a month later at 4AM. With that schedule my laptop would NEVER have been scanned or cleaned. I set it for every other day for both now, so having the connection problem and then learning that and fixing it ...turned out to be a good thing.
On my old laptop I had Windows Defender and Advanced System Care and both were on and working constantly. I'm surprised McAfee doesn't have Popups telling you it has been X number of days since last scanning and computer could be at risk. So ...if anyone has McAfee installed ...check its schedules ....
That still sounds like a BS answer, given that you had no problems connecting with other websites.

(I was in computer security for over ten years before I retired.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back