• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Unable to Create a Keyword

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbuck

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.2.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi. I have been using Lightroom for many years and thought i understood most of it, but I have recently switched over to Classic and cannot create a new keyword.
I select the + sign by the keyword list header and get the create keyword tag window. I put in a new name and select create, but the new name doesn't appear in the keyword list.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi Roelof. No, I don't think so. I have tried to select different keywords but no joy. It really is weird.

The problem seems to be that the new keyword is not being displayed in the keyword list panel, but the keyword is actually being created

I just tried it with the same Lightroom version and MacOS Catalina and it works fine for me. You can have the same keyword at different hierarchy levels, so that should not be the problem.

Check two things: create a temporary new catalog and see if you can create a keyword in that catalog. If so, your current catalog may be the problem. If not, reset the preferences and see if that helps.

OK, I will try a new catalog. I've not done this before. How do I go back to my old catalog once I've tried this new catalog out?

I can see the new keyword in the just created window, but not on the keyword dropdown list.

I do have a lot of keywords, but I don't think I have exceeded 2800

OK. I created a new catalog and the keyboarding worked just fine. So maybe I have too many keywords. It still doesn't work with my old catalog

I have tried to delete some keywords from my current list and then tried to add some new ones to see if I have exceeded the 2800 figure, but still no good. How could my catalog affect the keyboarding?

You could try the following. Open the new empty catalog you just created as a test (or create a new one again) and then choose 'File - Import from Another Catalog'. Choose your old catalog to import. Choose 'Add new photos to catalog without moving' as File Handling option. When the import is finished, you should have a new catalog that is identical to the old one, except for any publishing services you may have. Try to add a new keyword to this new catalog. If that works fine, then continue to use the new catalog (keep the old one as a backup just to make sure).

Brilliant. It all now works.
Many thanks guys for all your help. It's great to know there are people out there prepared to help.

Stay safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back