• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

unable to back up

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg_1

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm getting the following message when I try to backup Lightroom to anywhere other than the Lightroom folder on the C drive (which of course doesn't make sense):

Lightroom was unable to back up the catalog named (XYZ) - Please check your folder permissions and make sure you have enough space on your main catalog's drive and backup drive.

I have plenty of space everywhere and plenty of permission. It will back up to the (default) C drive but nowhere else. What's up?

Thanks!

I have plenty of space everywhere and plenty of permission. It will back up to the (default) C drive but nowhere else. What's up?
Apparently you do not have 'plenty of permission', otherwise you would not get that message. When the catalog backup dialog comes up, check the destination of the backup. Lightroom does not have permission to write to the root of your C: drive, for example. Change the destination by clicking the 'Choose' button.

Can you enable the writing to the C: drive somehow?
You don't want to do that. Malware that can Access the root directory can damage your system beyond repair. Pick a folder in your user folder or on an EHD and give LR permission to that folder.

Because of malware OS have developed a concept of "Sandboxing" users to prevent malware attacks on the system. You can do most anything in your "sandbox" without damage to other users or the system account.

Actually, the Lightroom folder on the C drive is the place it INSISTS on writing to. The error message quoted happens when I try to direct it to an external hard drive (where I've previously been writing backups). I've normally written to this particular EHD, but a few backups ago it switched, without my noticing, to the LR folder on the C drive. It was when I went to back up my LR backups folder (on the EHD) that I found it empty of any recent backups. Went looking and found them on the C drive. Any ideas?

Actually, the Lightroom folder on the C drive is the place it INSISTS on writing to. The error message quoted happens when I try to direct it to an external hard drive (where I've previously been writing backups). I've normally written to this particular EHD, but a few backups ago it switched, without my noticing, to the LR folder on the C drive. It was when I went to back up my LR backups folder (on the EHD) that I found it empty of any recent backups. Went looking and found them on the C drive. Any ideas?

When you exit LR and the Backup process starts, you can designate the EHD as the Backup drive. After that , LR will remember the destination. If that Backup drive disappears (i.e. F: is no longer mounted as F:, LR will revert to the C drive pictures folder that it knows is existing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you exit LR and the Backup process starts, you can designate the EHD as the Backup drive. After that , LR will remember the destination. If that Backup drive disappears (i.e. F: is no longer mounted as F:, LR will revert to the C drive pictures folder that it knows is existing.

It is annoying (to me) that you can't set the backup drive location and folder until you actually do a backup. It is not consistent with the way that other Lightroom options are configured.

Cletus is right. If you back up to an EHD, and that drive is not plugged in, Lightroom will revert to drive C.

Phil

It is annoying (to me) that you can't set the backup drive location and folder until you actually do a backup.
I believe it's so you can change it on the fly, although I do agree you should be able to set it in Catalog Settings too.

I believe it's so you can change it on the fly, although I do agree you should be able to set it in Catalog Settings too.
If the setting were moved to the Preferences/Catalog preferences. it would be convenient for every case. I want to set my backup destination Once, someplace not in the primary drive and never have to move it again. Something like "Storing presets with this catalog". My preference for the location of backup catalogs should be found in "Preferences"

If the setting were moved to the Preferences/Catalog preferences. it would be convenient for every case. I want to set my backup destination Once, someplace not in the primary drive and never have to move it again. Something like "Storing presets with this catalog". My preference for the location of backup catalogs should be found in "Preferences"
Or, have this setting be both global, for all catalogs, and an override setting for a specific catalog.

Put in a feature request, I'll vote on it

Last edited:

Sorry I've been away for a few days, just been busy.... BUT - I understand this is is how it should work. I've been backing up LR for a number of years. I know how it's supposed to work. The designated backup hard drive is connected and has plenty of space, and any other application can acess it. And LR is happy to write a second copies of photos on import to it as I've directed it to. It just won't write the backup.

Sorry I've been away for a few days, just been busy.... BUT - I understand this is is how it should work. I've been backing up LR for a number of years. I know how it's supposed to work. The designated backup hard drive is connected and has plenty of space, and any other application can acess it. And LR is happy to write a second copies of photos on import to it as I've directed it to. It just won't write the backup.
This may be something you have already tried. Outside of Lightroom, using Windows Explorer, can you copy to your backup location some random file or files that are about the same size as a ZIP file of a recent backup?

You may have already tried this, but have you tried changing the backup location, running a backup, then changing it back? That used to fix a similar issue a few years ago.

This may be something you have already tried. Outside of Lightroom, using Windows Explorer, can you copy to your backup location some random file or files that are about the same size as a ZIP file of a recent backup?
I have - that worked with no problem. What does this tell me?

You may have already tried this, but have you tried changing the backup location, running a backup, then changing it back? That used to fix a similar issue a few years ago.
Well, it worked once. The next time I went to back up, I got the same problem. Not very practical to have to go through that routine every time. I would conclude there's a problem with that external hard drive, but it works fine for everything else. Guess I'll just have to let it back up wherever it wants, then move the backup to the drive I want it on. Once again, Adobe 1 - Greg 0 :(

I haven't heard of that issue in years. It might be that something about the file path is changing. Usually just doing it once was enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back