• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Typing speed and keyword search delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

becksnyc

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version Number
LR CC 11.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I use the keyword search box often. One of my biggest gripes with it is that if I don't enter the entire word in VERY quick succession, it begins to search for whatever letters have been typed. Sometimes, with the slightest delay between the first letter of a word and the rest of the word, it begins to search. For example, I'm trying to enter "Apple" and before the letter "p" is entered, it's searching for all the words with "A"---which makes the program hang and any attempts to click makes the screen fade to gray.
Is there some way to change to data entry settings so that I can enter data more slowly without triggering a search?

Is there some way to change to data entry settings so that I can enter data more slowly without triggering a search?
You can turn the search off. Preferences>Interface Tab>uncheck the option to "Auto-complete text in Keyword Tags field".

2022-07-11 16_20_37-Preferences.png

Dang. Ninja'd.

I think the question here needs to be clarified.

To quote @becksnyc directly - "I use the keyword search box often". I read that as the search box in the Keyword List panel and not keyword entry in the Keywording panel.

Unchecking the option to "Auto-complete text in Keyword Tags field" under Preferences>Interface Tab> only affects the entry/search of keywords in the Keywording panel during keyword entry.

I have about 3,000 keywords. When I enter a keyword search in the Keyword List panel the result set is returned pretty much immediately as I type.

I did mean the search box right below "Keyword List." I was not referring to keyword entry in the "Keywording" box.
Somethings can only be captured in a video. Am I right only screenshots can be shared here?

---which makes the program hang and any attempts to click makes the screen fade to gray.
I think the real question is why does the dynamic keyword filtering make the program hang? (Keyword filtering works fine for me.) Unfortunately I have no answer, but maybe someone else has a suggestion?

I think the real question is why does the dynamic keyword filtering make the program hang? (Keyword filtering works fine for me.) Unfortunately I have no answer, but maybe someone else has a suggestion?
It has done this for as long as I can remember. I've used LR for about 10 years. I'm using a Dell Precision M6800 Workstation.

I see that you're on Windows. Open the Lightroom Keywords.txt file in a text editor and observe the number of lines. If you have more than about 1500 keywords (or 3000 keywords on some systems, depending on your display settings), as I suspect, LR will behave very erratically when displaying the Keyword List panel and the Keywords column of the Library Filter's Metadata browser. When you type the letter "a" slowly in the filter box, LR tries to display the search results in the Keyword List panel, and if the number of keywords in the result are more than the maximum 1500 / 3000, LR can lock up for up to minutes at a time.

With large keyword lists on Windows, people cope by keeping most of the hierarchy collapsed at any one time, so that the number of lines displayed in the Keyword panel is less than 1500 / 3000. But this workaround won't help with the incremental search of the Keyword List filter box, since LR will display all matching keywords and their containing keywords uncollapsed. The only workaround is to type the first few letters very quickly so that when LR gets to displaying the search results, they number less than 1500 / 3000.

The limit on the number of keywords in Windows LR and LR's bad behavior when you exceed that limit has been present since day 1. Adobe long-ago acknowledged the problem with a terse, incomplete help article:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-doesnt-display-all-keywords.htm

It's pretty clear that Adobe has no intention of fixing this or even have LR behave more politely when the maximum is exceeded. The original bug report has had its internal tracking number removed and appears in the Discussion section of the Adobe forum, rather than the Bugs section (which is where bugs acknowledged by Adobe appear):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...el-prevents-scrolling-to-bottom/td-p/10854230

Similar symptoms afflict the Folders and Collections panels. The only complete workaround is to buy a Mac, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back