• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Two Persistent Error Messages on Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky3540

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.1 [ 201911291132-64cf80b4 ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Ever since I upgraded to the first release of Catalina, I get these two error messages every time I import images. First, I get this one:

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 7.40.27 AM.png

Then, in the Import window, I get this one:

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 7.41.14 AM.png

I work around the second one by using the drop-down list in the Destination section at the upper right of the Import window to point Lr to My Lightroom Folder, but I'd rather not have to keep doing that.

Are other users having these problems? I'm on the latest release of Catalina, 10.15.2, and the latest release of Lr, 9.1. I'd read about incompatibilities between Catalina and Lr and was hoping these two latest releases would solve them, but they didn't solve these two.

Any advice? Thank you.

This is a security issue brought by changes to Catalina file security. There are two updates that you should install. MacOS is at release 10.15.2 now. Please update the OS.
Lightroom Classic is at release 9.1. By updating both, you problems will likely disappear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for responding, but right in the body of my post I said I'm on Catalina 10.15.2 and Lr 9.1—and the error messages persist.

Sorry, I read this using Tapatalk on my iPadPro. And I missed that critical information at the end of your post. The Same security issue applies but instead of it being automatic, you probably need to apply this manually.
Johan has a screen shot of where you need to go in System Preference to get the file permissions that LR needs. I’ll try to dig it up.

Thank you. I checked the settings in Security and Privacy and Lr had all the access necessary. But I read the entire thread above that and realized what my problem was: I was using an Import Preset for one of my cameras that carried over from High Sierra, and Catalina had changed the file path. So I pointed Lr to the correct folder, then updated the preset, and that problem went away.

The first message almost certainly means the following: in the Lightroom Sync tab of the preferences, you can specify the download location of images coming in from the cloud, like photos shot or your phone. That location is set incorrectly, possibly to the root of your hard disk. Lightroom does not have permissions to write to the root of the disk, and that is why you get the error message.

Thank you. I pointed Lr to the folder where it should download images from my phone.

I think the problem stems from the fact that Catalina moves items to a Relocated Items folder, which creates a long path (see screenshot). One of the folders it moved was the one where those photos were downloaded.

I have to believe other Lr users who upgrade to Catalina are also having this issue with changes to previous paths.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 4.41.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 4.41.24 PM.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 233
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back