• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

TTG XML Auto Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

theturninggate

The Turning Gate
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom 1.' was released on February 19, 2''7, making it one year old today. Marking the occasion of Lightroom's first birthday, The Turning Gate is proud to present the release of two new Web module templates, TTG Shadowbox Gallery and TTG XML Auto Index.

====

TTG XML Auto Index makes keeping an album index, or table of contents, of web photo galleries easier than ever. Set it up once; the rest gets done automatically. Add galleries any time, simply by uploading a supported web gallery to the auto index directory on your web server.

The following galleries currently support TTG XML Auto Index out-of-the-box:

TTG Shadowbox Gallery
TTG HTML Gallery
TTG Slimbox Gallery
TTG Selection Gallery
TTG Client Response Gallery

Other galleries will soon be updated to support this new index; unsupported gallery types and other types of media can also be indexed simply by including an easily created XML file with your uploads. TTG XML Maker can create that file for you.

Download TTG XML Auto Index 1.'2.

TTG Indexing

Why are all these very useful TTG indexing galleries PHP based?
Is it not possible to generate an index like these prior to the Lr export and server upload (say based on a specified directory structure).
This would be a boon to those of us who have to pay extra for a PHP function we don't otherwise need.

PHP offers a lot more flexibility Jim, including being able to create pages on the fly indexing the pages below. You could certainly create a html index page manually though.

Most webhosts offer PHP as standard these days, at no extra cost... is it perhaps worth looking at alternative web hosting? There are some good deals to be had.

Victoria is right about the hosting. If you're host is charging you extra for PHP, that's a good sign you should be moving on. I've had a good experience with SiteGround, and I understand that Media Temple also offers great service.

Go Daddy is also popular, but while they're support is good, I find their user interface to be one of the Internet's biggest messes. I avoid them for that reason alone.

If you don't want to use the PHP in my templates, that's also an option. You can keep the index.html file and delete the index.php file, but you'll lose all of PHP/XML (automatic indexing) functionality. Still, the templates will work as static HTML if you just want the appearance, and don't mind updating/replacing the pages manually.

I appreciate that both these replies are well meaning, but without knowing the reasons for selecting my existing isp & indeed cost, they rather miss the point.
I am interested in why say Javascript/XML could not do the same thing at the client end prior to upload, thus avoiding any special server technologies, and also avoiding the manual work suggested.
I need to stick with UK based servers on the backbone (the suggested ISPs are US based I believe).

Regards,

Fair enough Jim. That must be a particularly good deal you've got there then!

What you're suggesting may well be possible... but I'm not sure anyone will actually spend any time designing a gallery on that basis, when a PHP alternative already exists, and the vast majority of UK, as well as US, web hosts support it as standard.

Understood.

By the way is there a chance of a response to my post in the Panic Gallery (which I may have put in the wrong place).
Is it possible to simply show the metadata at the bottom of each image instead of floating if you mouse over the image. The performance of this template seems particularly good otherwise.
If I have missed a parameter in the front end, could this be done instead with a bit of code tweaking?

Regards,

TTG XML Auto Index 1.51 is now available with the following changes:

• No longer displays "No Title" or "No Description" when those fields are left blank in the XML file. Should display nothing, but I haven't tested it yet. Let me know if there's a problem.
  • The archive now includes an alternate version of index.php, located in the Alternates folder, that can be used in place of the standard index.php on servers that encounter problems with the index.

No images

Hi,

I'm feeling very stupid to tell you about my problems with TTG XML Auto Index. I'm following the intructions and I have success with to make two galleries but when I choose one of the galleries no images appears, just the big box with a border around.

It must be something with the pathes but I can't figure it out. Please hope someone can give me one or more tips.

Thanks in advance

Razer Bazer

Problem solved for the moment

My "major" problem is still there but I solved it temporary with Simpleviewer plugin with Picasa. :)

Link back to Index

Is it possible to add a link from galleries back to the Auto Index?

feel sure I'm missing something obvious!

You can set a link using the menu options in most of my HTML-based galleries. The menu options can be found under the Site Info page. Best to use an absolute URL, i.e. http://www.domain.com/autoindex/.

Hi, I had the same problem as Razer Bazer until I found out that you are using short php tags and I had to change my php configuration to:

short_open_tag = yes

Now it works wonderfully - thanks for the good work!!!

/ Jocke

I love Auto Index, any plans to update SimpleViewer to be Auto Index compatible?

I like SimpleViewer for small galleries.

Thanks for all your work!

Problem with paths... may be rel to free.fr proxad hosting

First thanks for the amazing job you've done with all these galleries!

I ran into a bit of trouble with the supplied php scripts when I uploaded the stuff to my free.fr website.

The original script is here (no subdir seens apparently), and here is the alternative one (put after I've discovered that free did block the glob() function in a way otr another).
With the latter, it seems that the script scans much more directories than the 3 subdirs under the link...

I've then replaced the line
Code:
      $images = glob("$dir/thumbnails/*.{gif,jpg,png}",GLOB_BRACE);
with
Code:
      $images = safe_glob("./$dir/thumbnails/*.jpg");
-yeah I could have kept the GLOBE_BRACE statement, but I was unsure if it was supported by safe_glob.
Note the use of safe_glob() (displaced higher in the script) and moreover the ./ at the beginning of the path, it seems to ensure that only subdirectories are scanned.

It worked better but there was still a problem with the next getimagesize call, and then the problem as stated by Razer Bazer (thumbs did'nt show up) so I applied the same path correction to the next lines :
Code:
     if (count($images) > ') do {
         $chosenimg = $images[array_rand($images)];
      } while (!getimagesize("./$dir/thumbnails/$chosenimg"));
      $al['thumbnail'] = "./$dir/thumbnails/$chosenimg";

It's only tinkering :oops: , I'm sure someone competent could write this in a much better way.
But, if anyone encounter the same problem (very probably related to the way the free.fr aka proxad servers run?), I thought it was better to propose a solution... Hope this helps!

OK, I am pretty new to this, but regardless, I am having a hell of a time with something that seems it should be simple. What I have is a website for my family to view my personal pics from over the years. The way my photos are organized is like so - if they were taken on January 1, 2''1, they are in a folder called 2''1-'1-'1. Sometimes, I have a sub-collection, so to speak. I have a folder named 2''3-'6, and within that folder, the folders correspond to dates of a trip I took that month, so folders are named 2''3-'6-'1 through 2''3-'6-'7.

It would look like this:

Main gallery index>
-2''1 index
-2''1 gallery
-2''2 index
-2''2 gallery
-2''3 index
-2''3-'6 index
-2''3-'6-'1 gallery
-2''3-'6-'2 gallery
-2''3-'6-'3 gallery
-2''3-'6-'4 gallery
-2''3-'6-'5 gallery
-2''3-'7-'1 gallery
-2''3-'8-'1 gallery

I am using TTG Auto Index 1.51 and TTG Shadowbox Gallery 2.85. I can not, for the life of me, make the 2''3-'6 index function properly. Is there someone that may be able to detail the steps necessary to make this work?

Hi tuberbob, welcome to the forum!

Do you have them online somewhere, that we can take a quick look at the setup?

Hey Matt, I'm going to disturb your peace again, sorry about that. I found a bug in XML Auto Index, when there is an '&' in either the title or the description of an album, they don't get displayed.

I am working on my father's website and am having a problem nesting TTG XML AutoIndex. I posted on the Turning Gate site LR page because someone there had a similar issue, but I think that perhaps I should have posted here.

I exported TTG XML Autoindex to a folder friendsandfamily, deleted index.html and the thumbnails, and uploaded that folder to the existing, working galeries folder. I then moved a gallery from the galleries folder to the friendsandfamily folder so that each Autoindex directory had a gallery in it. The Autoindex in friendsandfamily worked but the peviously working Autoindex in galleries began giving an error message. I quickly put things back and recreated the issue in a test area.

I created a directory on the server called newgallerytest and uploaded the entire friendsandfamily folder into the newgallerytest directory. I then coppied the contents of the friendsandfamily directory back into the newgallerytest directory. I put a gallery (TTG Shadowbox) into each directory so neither was empty. The friendsandfamily subdirectory works but the newgallerytest directory gives an error: in an infinite loop.

Warning: array_rand() [function.array-rand]: First argument has to be an array in /home/melannis/public_html/newgallerytest/index.php on line 69

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I actually do not have the images up anymore...I took them down because of all the indexing problems I am having. That's why I put so much effort into describing the hierarchy of the galleries. If someone could give me a brief idea of how they would do it, I will re-up the images and see what happens. Thanks for everything...in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back