Catalogs Trying to setup LR folders after moving from Apple HD to Samsung external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

tineketover

Lightroom Version Number
LR 5
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Original content removed at OP's request.

Last edited by a moderator:
The above information was not meant to go to the LR forum, as it was a private discussion with my relatives. Would you be able to remove this?

Please see the intended information below:

Managing LR folders on a Samsung hard drive. To LR Forum and LRQueen

As I indicated to the forum earlier, I am having problems with successfully migrating LightRoom data from my 2TB iMac (2021) to a 2 TB Samsung external hard drive. There appear to be some corrupted and missing folders.

While I love using LR for editing the various files, I have had a hard time to clearly understand the instructions for the migration. Part of the problem may be my many gray hairs.

When I scrolled through the whole data base in LR on my Mac, It appeared that my pictures were all there. However, they may have missed appropriate catalog information.

Starting with the most recent data, I seem to have successfully imported 4 folders with pictures into the Samsung drive: LR (2019, 2018, 2016, 2014). I started with my latest folder, 2019).

For the remaining 15 folders, I am uncertain on how to proceed. Should I start with the oldest folder labeled 2002? I presume that once that folder has been reconnected, LR will then recognize all ‘missing files/ folders.’ Is this correct?

I would appreciate your suggestions, before I do anything else. It appears that once, a path has been set, LR should then find missing folders. Someone mentioned that I only have to get this oldest folder modified with one file and that afterwards LR will then gradually work its way up. It all seems a bit magical.

I also have a problem that some folders are ‘locked.’ This problem might prevent LR from navigating through the various folders. What has caused this and how can it be fixed?

FYI, I started using LR with Windows and changed to Apple (iMac) in 2013. The latest iMac was acquired early last year.

1657240817118.png

tineketover

I wonder if this catalog has been used on a PC as well. The reason is that your screenshot shows two (disconnected) drives with drive letters C: and D:. MacOS does not use drive letters however, so these drives could well be connected in reality, but they won’t be recognized having these letters instead of names.

What you could try is first look in Lightroom what pictures are supposed to be in those missing folders. Do you recognize them? Do you know where they really are? For example: the pictures in the missing ‘My Pictures’ folder might be in a ‘My Pictures’ folder on one of the drives that do have names, such as on ‘Macintosh HD’ or ‘LaCie’. If they are, then fist check if they show in Lightroom on these drives as well. If so, then the missing folders are duplicates that you could possibly remove from the catalog. If not, then you could try to ‘relink’ the missing folder. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

The locked folders could be part of this. If a drive is NTFS formatted because it was used with a Windows PC, then Macs can read it but cannot write to it.

Reply to Johan Elzenga

Thank you for your careful comments on a worrisome problem. You found further issues, and I hope that I can manage to keep most of this 23 year record of photos and personal history from all over the world. Perhaps, the good thing is that I can see images of many of the pictures in one large folder, even though unstable, as they are now aligned with the LR catalog.

I had not noticed that there was evidence of windows Drives: C:, D;, as well as G:. I never saw evidence of this in the last 20 years, so, hopefully, this may not have a large impact.

Only recently did I try to move my Lightroom folders from my Apple HD. To me, it seems that I may not have done this correctly, as I used the most recent folder at the start rather than the oldest folder. Thus, the process of LR finding missing folders went in the wrong direction? I was not able to find a good article that describes the process of migrating LR folders to an external hard drive, even though this is now common practice, especially for those who use raw data.

Most of the missing folders are not seen until LR finds them, and there are a lot. There should not be duplicates between HD and other drives, once the process has been completed.

Yesterday, I went through a thousand or more images on the strip, and I was able to see the photos. I am not sure if they are in sync with the catalog.

It seems that the LR catalog needs to be consulted, but I have no idea what to look for. When I switched from Windows to Apple in 2013, I spent considerable time In sorting out the LR data, and I never had problems afterwards.

The Samsung hard drive was new and was properly formatted for apple, journaled etc.

Another (perhaps related ?) problem is that a number of pictures have a subscript that says ‘locked’. Could this be related to the above issue. I have never encountered this before.

Thank you for your interest in helping to get this problem resolved.

tineketover

Tineke Kuiper response to Johan Elzenga; copy to LR Queen

Thank you for your careful comments on a worrisome problem. You found further issues, and I hope that I can manage to keep most of this 23 year record of photos and personal history from all over the world. Perhaps, the good thing is that I can see images of many of the pictures in one large folder, even though unstable, as they are now aligned with the LR catalog.

I had not noticed that there was evidence from the windows era. Drives: C:, D;, as well as G:. I was not aware of an issue in the last 20 years, so, hopefully, this may not have a large impact, and when all is done these could perhaps be removed.

Only recently did I start to move my Lightroom folders from my Apple HD to the Samsung drive. To me, it seems that I may not have done this correctly, as I used the most recent folder at the top rather than the oldest folder. Thus, my folders seem to go in the wrong direction. Perhaps, the process of LR finding missing folders went in the wrong direction as well? The Lightroom Queen could perhaps comment on how to configure my setup. I was not able to find a good article that describes the process of migrating LR folders to an external hard drive, even though this is now common practice, especially for those who use raw data.

Most of the missing folders are not seen until LR finds them, and there are a lot. There should not be duplicates between HD and other drives, once the process has been completed. Yesterday, I went through a about a thousand or more images on the strip, and I was able to see the photos using quicklook. I am not sure if they are in sync with the catalog.

It seems that the LR catalog needs to be consulted, but I have no idea what to look for. When I switched from Windows to Apple in 2013, I spent considerable time In sorting out the data, and I never had problems afterwards.

The Samsung hard drive was new and was properly formatted for apple, journaled etc.

Thank you for your interest in helping to get this resolved.

Tineketover

Well, if these drives are very old, then I would ignore them for now. Because you expanded the C: drive, you emphasized it in your screenshot. If these are remnants from years ago, then they are not important right now. First, run the ‘Find All Missing Photos’ menu again. The missing photos collection shown in the top panel is not a smart collection, it does not auto-update. That means that your problem may be a lot less serious than it looks…

Reply to Johan Elzenga

Most of the missing folders are not seen until LR finds them, and there are a lot. Once the process has been completed, there should not be duplicates between the Macintosh and other drives,

I have gone t through a thousand or more images on the strip, and I was able to see the photos. I am not sure if they in sync with the catalog.

It seems that the LR catalog needs to be consulted, but I have no idea what to look for. When I switched from Windows to Apple in 2013, I spent considerable time in sorting out the data, and I did not have problems afterwards.

A number of pictures have a subscript that says ‘locked’. Could this be related to the above issue. I have never encountered this before.

Thank you for your interest in helping to get this resolved.

tineketover

July 14

Reply 2 to Johan Elzenga

I apologize for my delayed response. For the last week, I have further reviewed what is in my data base. It is quite a mess. As a start, I found that many of the data were no longer sorted by year, and I have started to fix this, but perhaps this was the wrong thing to do.

As well, I found that there is now some information on the Windows drives C;, D:, and G: [see screen shot: Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 10.19.00 AM ]. I will continue to see what happens with the various Windows drives.
C: 285
D: 45
G:4492

In reviewing the various files and folders, I have found several that were missing. At the moment, I believe that these files and folders are genuine, although many cannot be found yet. With time linkages will be found to make this possible. There are some duplicates, but this is not a big issue.

It may be appropriate to now start to move files and folders from the MacIntosh to the Samsung drive. Do I import into Samsung or do I export from the Macintosh?

Ignore duplicates for now, and keep jpgs if appropriate (i.e. if there is unique information). What is the specific procedure

I would prefer to keep the original date of the files and folders. This will help in the organization of events.

At this time, only files/folders that are recognized will be moved; thus, not missing files and folders. Is that correct?

Doing this work is very time-consuming and I may not understand clearly how to proceed.

tineketover

As well, I found that there is now some information on the Windows drives C;, D:, and G: [see screen shot: Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 10.19.00 AM ]. I will continue to see what happens with the various Windows drives.
C: 285
D: 45
G:4492
Ignore this for now, because there is nothing you can do about that right now.

As a start, I found that many of the data were no longer sorted by year, and I have started to fix this, but perhaps this was the wrong thing to do.
If you mean that you are reorganizing images outside of Lightroom, then yes, that is the wrong thing to do and will make it much more difficult and time consuming to get Lightroom to understand where these images are.

I do not understand the following part of your message:
In reviewing the various files and folders, I have found several that were missing. At the moment, I believe that these files and folders are genuine, although many cannot be found yet. With time linkages will be found to make this possible.
Are you talking about files and folders shown in Lightroom (as missing)? If so, then I already gave you a link that explains how you fix that. Or do you mean that you can also not find them in the Macintosh Finder? Obviously, that is something I can’t help you with.

It may be appropriate to now start to move files and folders from the MacIntosh to the Samsung drive. Do I import into Samsung or do I export from the Macintosh?
Neither. If you want to move folders from one disk to another, you can do this in one of two ways:
1: Drag and drop the folders in the Lightroom folder panel. Lightroom will then take care of the move, and it will keep track of the folders so the folders won’t become ‘missing’. You are correct that you can only move folders that are not missing this way. If Lightroom doesn’t know where a folder is, then it obviously can’t move it to another location either.
2: Drag and drop the folders in the Macintosh Finder. That will not move, but copy the folders, so once they have been copied, you must delete them from the source disk. After you have done that you must let Lightroom know what you did by using the ‘Find Missing Folder’ option, as described in the above mentioned link. This you can also do with folders that Lightroom says are ‘missing’, so if you know where that missing folder really is but you want to move it anyway, then this is easier because you can first move it to where you want it and then ‘relink’ Lightroom to it.

Whatever method you choose, move an entire folder hierarchy, so a topfolder with all its subfolders. Otherwise you may have to relink every single subfolder one by one.

Tineketover to Johan Elzenga/Forum: July 19, 2022

Thread: Managing missing photos on a MacIntosh hard drive and

migrating to an external Samsung hard drive.

I have had to deal with other issues, and look forward to finishing

this project, so that I can enjoy my photos again!

A screen shot of the catalog shows that out of the 30,273 photos

in the current Mac, there are 21,996 missing photos. This suggests

that the missing photos could be due to the initial migration by a local

company last year from the old Mac to the current Mac. There had

been many issues with the former (fusion) hard drive.

It was decided that, for the new Mac, photos would be stored and

developed in an external Samsung 2 TB hard drive. An early

attempt to move folders from the current MacIntosh drive to the

Samsung drive shows 2 NEFS with 668 missing photos (grayed out).

With regard to moving my MacIntosh photographs to the external

hard drive, things are gradually becoming clear. Going forward, it

seems best to first use the missing link program for the MacIntosh

folder, as this is where most of the missing pictures are missing and

can be identified and incorporated into the missing folders,

using the missing link program you provided. I presume that there

may be several iterations for such an old data base. I do not want to

I still need a helping hand, with regard to ‘parent’ and

where to start. An attempt should be made to make folders that

have at least 100 to 200 photos. Right now, the 2002 folder is the

oldest folder, but there should be many before that.

Once this process has been completed, the Macintosh folders can

be moved to the Samsung, using the program you have identified.

I hope they can survive the move with linkages intact.

In the meantime, I have disconnected the LaCie, so as not to

interfere with the process. During this process, the time-machine

backup will be stopped.

Am I on the right track?

I’m sorry but your writing style makes it extremely hard for me to understand what you are doing and where you still need help. What are “2 NEFS with 668 missing photos” for example? What do you mean with pictures “can be identified and incorporated into the missing folders”? And what does “I presume that there may be several iterations for such an old data base” mean?

Try to be as specific as possible, you are not writing a novel. Post screenshots when possible and ask direct questions about what can be seen in that screenshot. Remember that we cannot see what you see on your screen. We can only try to understand what you write, and quite frankly I don’t at the moment.

The screenshot above was attached to my email last night, but it apparently got cut off.
I will reply to the other concerns that you raised shortly.

tineketover

This screenshot does not show any missing folders, but it does show something that fools a lot of us: the 21996 'Missing Photographs' in the top panel. This may be nothing. If you choose the 'Library - Find All Missing Photos' menu, you will get this collection, but this collection is not a smart collection that auto-updates. It's a static collection that is updated by choosing that menu again. So choose that menu again and you'll probably find a lot less missing photos, maybe even zero...

I understand your communication concerns and will try to do better. If I spoke Dutch, it would be worse. I am trying to provide you with all of the relevant information. My main concern is that I may do something that worsens the situation.

As you suggested, I looked at LR/development/library under Navigator for missing folders. For MacIntosh HD this showed the same data (30273 photos, 21964 missing) as before. This is not surprising as I have not yet run the missing folder exercise. Thanks for explaining.

At this point, I can probably run the missing folder program on the MacIntosh HD, with tineketover as a 'parent.' Do you agree?

The Samsung HD also has two pictures and a missing folder of 668 photos from an earlier attempt to move photos from the MacIntosh HD to the Samsung HD.
I should probably also run the missing folder exercise on the Samsung HD once we see the results of the MacIntosh. Perhaps you have better suggestions? Eventually, the current data on the Samsung drive will need to be merged with the future data on the Samsung from the MacIntosh HD.

tineketover

I understand your communication concerns and will try to do better. If I spoke Dutch, it would be worse.
Are you suggesting that my poor command of the English language is the real problem here?… In that case I invite a native speaker to take over, because I do not want to waste any more of my time on this.

The communication concerns are my problem, not yours. You have an excellent command of the English language and you are very thorough. I feel very honoured that you are helping me with this. As I am not a young computer geek, I find it difficult to communicate my understanding of some of the steps, especially since it is somewhat complex. I want to make sure that I do things correctly and in the right order. My comment : If I spoke Dutch, it would be worse was reflecting on me not you, and I am sorry that you took it that way.

Can I come back to the issue before us? I have not yet run the missing file program for the MacIntosh HD. Once completed, the missing files would be gone and the information would be on the Macintosh HD. As you know, the intent is to then move that data to the new Samsung HD. How would you want me to proceed with that step, especially since the Samsung already has some data?

tineketover

I have not yet run the missing file program for the MacIntosh HD. Once completed, the missing files would be gone and the information would be on the Macintosh HD.
There is no ‘missing file program’. Lightroom can’t fix missing files or folders for you, you have to tell Lightroom where they are. That is what you must do if you right-click on a missing folder and choose ‘Find Missing Folder’. This menu is a bit of a misnomer. It seems to suggest that Lightroom is going to find that missing folder for you, but it that’s not what this menu does. It will open a dialog that you must use to tell Lightroom where the folder is.

Earlier you said:
At this point, I can probably run the missing folder program on the MacIntosh HD, with tineketover as a 'parent.' Do you agree?
This is not possible. You will only get the ‘Find Missing Folder’ menu if you right-click on a missing folder, not if you right-click on a folder that isn’t missing. Your ‘Tinetover’ parent folder is not missing. In fact, your last screenshot does not show any missing folders, but of course the screenshot does not show all your folders. I assume there are missing folders if you scroll down? Find the top most of those missing folders and then do the right-click exercise.

Thank you. Indeed, the last screenshot that I had sent, did not show missing folders, and you were hinting at this a bit as well. Yet, some files and folders have disappeared. Could my rapid scrolling of all of the images have had a detrimental effect?

Last night, I went through all of my notes and I will do this again. It seems that there are now fewer files in the Samsung drive. How can one find out if a drive is defective?

Another thing that I observed is that many files now have several (3-4) copies.

Is there a way to find out what is going on and fix things?

tineketover

Thank you. Indeed, the last screenshot that I had sent, did not show missing folders, and you were hinting at this a bit as well. Yet, some files and folders have disappeared. Could my rapid scrolling of all of the images have had a detrimental effect?
No. Scrolling in Lightroom can not possibly remove photos or folders.

Last night, I went through all of my notes and I will do this again. It seems that there are now fewer files in the Samsung drive. How can one find out if a drive is defective?
Use MacOS Disk Utility to check the drive. If Disk Utility doesn't find any problems, then that is probably true.

Another thing that I observed is that many files now have several (3-4) copies.
Is there a way to find out what is going on and fix things?
Copies in Lightroom or only copies on disk? Can you post a screenshot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back