• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Trying to Save Metadata (xmp), hanging on video files

Status
Not open for further replies.

helentodd05

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I'm trying to Save Metadata on a large number of folders and files. (My entire catalog is 130,000 images, spread over 20+ years, by month/day folders. It's a lot of folders.)

Problem is, if any one of these folders contains a video file (it seems), the process hangs. There appears to be no way of getting around this short of going into all the folders and syncing them (or doing subsets that work until I happen upon the one that doesn't.)

I can search for .mov files with the Library, but I'm not sure how I'd use that to exclude them from the metadata sync - I don't want to move these files elsewhere because then I'd have to put them all back somehow, which sounds like a nightmare. (There are 419 files from 74 different folders.) Is there some other way I can exclude them from the process?

I'm pretty sure this is the problem, but am open to other suggestions if it sounds like something else. Also, is there a way to discover where it is hanging rather than process of elimination?

Thanks.

Hi Helen, welcome to the forum!

Hmmmm, it shouldn't hang, but there certainly are workarounds. The simplest is probably to select all of the folders, then open the Attribute Filters at the top and click the Master Photos button so it hides the videos. Then you can select all and write, and if it was the videos tripping it up, they'll be excluded because they're not selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back