• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Trying to decide if I switch over to LR w/ 1tb

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpmerhonda1

Lightroom Version Number
LR6
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
For years I have been running LR6 on my desktop, importing from several external hard drives.I have imported over-probably well over- the 1tb that would be included in my subscription. If I were to switch to the subscription version, could I have my total catalogue available on the new version, but just choose which portions of that catalogue are stored in the cloud? Also, when I print from the classic version, I have the canon print “something or other” as a plug-in I believe, which I open right from LR6. Could I still print the same way in the Lightroom subscription version on my desktop?

Your logical upgrade would be to Lightroom Classic, not Lightroom (cloud). Lightroom Classic does not store images in the cloud, but locally. It is Lightroom 6 with some new features, not a different application. That means you don’t even need 1 TB of cloud space. The 20 GB that comes with the standard ‘Photography Plan’ is enough, no matter how many images you have.

could I have my total catalogue available on the new version, but just choose which portions of that catalogue are stored in the cloud? Also, when I print from the classic version, I have the canon print “something or other” as a plug-in I believe, which I open right from LR6. Could I still print the same way in the Lightroom subscription version on my desktop?
Adding to what Johan has said. By running Lightroom Classic on your computer, you can create collections that sync with the cloud. When you do, Lightroom Classic will generate a SmartDNG that has as its long edge about 2500 pixels for any image collection that you choose to sync. These sync'd collections do not count toward your 20 GB limit. Printing from Lightroom (cloudy) is simplistic and akin to printing from Lightroom or any app on a mobile device. The only full features print capability is with Lightroom Classic and this includes Lightroom Classic with your Canon print plugin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back