Not open for further replies.

NJHeart2Heart

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I initially created a smart collection as follows:

Folder > Contains All > DDG_Photographs +
Size > Less Than > .4 MP

Where DDG_Photographs is the parent folder of (almost) my entire collection, including my scans folders.
The smart collection is NOT pulling out images contained in a subfolder of DDG_Photographs called "Scans - Unknown".

My parent folder does not contain any images in itself, only subfolders, so I know that it's pulling from other subfolders for the photos it DID include.

I was able to create another smart collection:

Folder > Contains All > Scans - Unknown +
Size > Less Than > .4 MP

Which did pull I believe all the photos in that folder.

I'd like to have ONE smart collection that pulls from my entire collection, yet for some reason it's excluding this one particular subfolder.

I did test a few things:

It isn't the folder name. I tried changing the name to "Scans_Unknown" to see if the first smart collection was balking at the use of spaces and/or dashes, but the first collection did not pick them up regardless, and the changing my criteria of the second smart collection had no effect when using " - " or "_" for folder name.

Help appreciated!

If your smart collection should pull from all your photographs, then why use that first line at all?
Just the second line: Size - Less then - .4Mp should do the trick.

If your smart collection should pull from all your photographs, then why use that first line at all?
Just the second line: Size - Less then - .4Mp should do the trick.

Huh.. I'm so used to starting with a source when creating smart collection criteria, I never thought of that.. that smart collections will automatically default to checking ALL photos in the catalog.

Of course that doesn't answer the question as to why using that set of criteria seems to be excluding one folder, but that may be a quick fix which I can live with.

Will try that tonight!

Dawn

Last edited:
Select all is moot now since I eliminated the source criteria per your suggestion. Didn't solve problem. Still won't pull images from that specific folder, though it is a subfolder of my parent folder.

Is it possible all your scans are larger than 0.4 megapixels? Assuming you scanned 4x6 photos at 300ppi, the resulting image would be over 2 megapixels.

Hi DGStinner,
Thanks for responding.
the smart collection did grab many photos from several folders...Just not from that specific one.
I checked the actual photos in LR, and they are definitely less than .2. I think it's because I had to recover a huge gruop of folders back in 2011 and unfortunately I believe my recovery only got thumbnails.
Just a quick point..They were digitals, not scans.
I'm just wondering if there's some preference of some sort hidden that is effecting this folder...

It may be helpful to see a screenshot of the smart collection criteria and pixel dimensions of an image that you think should be part of the smart collection but isn't.
Also, I noticed you profile says you're running 5.4. The latest version for v5 was 5.7. It may be a bug that was corrected in a later version.

Thanks for the info on this version. I'll definitely download new version.
I went to do some screenshots and was trying to show how the small collection based on the "Scans - Unknown" folder was not showing up in the larger collection, but it seems that it's resolved itself. Though the numbers don't really add up, I highlighted all 38 photos in my subset collections, and when I went to the encompassing collection those photos do show up within.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back