• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Troubles, installing LR6 from DVD onto MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjorn Stender P.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
LR6 ver 6.0 DVD
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi Victoria and other Gurus.
Thanks for a splendid homepage and instructive & informative forums.
I’m having trouble with installing Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 from DVD ROM on my ‘newer’ MacBook Pro.
Lightroom 6 (DVD) is for the time being installed on my Windows 10 PC and runs fine. However, I would also like to install LR 6 (DVD) on a MacBook Pro. (…attach SuperDrive thru Baseus adapter, Insert DVD, LR6 Folder appears). But clicking the icon Setup.app inside the DVD Folder LR does not really launch the installer. The installer icon appears briefly in the Dock and vanishes within a second.
Exporting the icons/programs from DVD in SuperDrive to Mac Desktop and trying to launch LR Installer from Desktop results in the same popup/vanish-thing.
Fact Sheet:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports);
macOS Big Sur, Version 11.0.1;
Apple USB SuperDrive, 11/2017, Model A1379, connected via Baseus USB female to Type-C male adapter converter;

What can be done? (Maybe wait for a new Update to Mac OS…)
Thanks for helping newbies... Bjorn Stender P.

LR6 installer is 32 bit which is not compatible with Big Sur. Only way is to install an earlier OS like Mojave, install LR6 and and then update to Big Sur.

As a note I know LR6 (which is 64 bit) will run on Catalina and I think it will run on Big Sur but I'm not sure about that.

Zenon is right. If you have Lr6 installed on Mojave (or earlier) and it's upgraded, then it continues to work. This was the case with Catalina, I haven't heard of anyone then upgrading to Big Sur to know it continues to work but believe it should. As pointed out, it's the fact that Catalina & Big Sur will only run 64-bit applications.

Also be aware that Lightroom 6 is not supported on Catalina or Big Sur.

LR6 didn’t get support during Mojave either. Last support was ver14 in December of 2017.

Hello Zenon and Paul. Thanks for the answer. I suspected that 64-bit problem.
Wise directions - though I do not have the courage to step back to a previous Mac OS on my ‘newer’ MacBook Pro. It’s a tedious and risky process.
I have an old Mac (...Old Faithful - MacBook Pro (13”, medio 2009)) that needs to be dusted off. It’s running OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6.
Now I have installed LR6 on Old Faithful. And it is up and running.
I do wish there was a method to Copy/Move the LR6 installation to the ‘newer’ MacBook Pro to experience the speed in the engine room.
Thanks again both of you. Bjorn Stender P.

The subscription version would solve your problems. It is now Version 10 and you wouldn't recognize it. Comes with a personal website if that is important. It is monthly or annual payments and that doesn't work for everyone. Good luck in whichever path you choose.

Hi Zenon. Good advice, LR CC would definitely cure the problem.
But I do not like the idea of paying for the use of LR for many years ahead. In six month time the price for the ‘Adobe Plans’ will surpass the flat price for the LR6 DVD ROM (...in DK, 2018). And I like the term ‘folder-based, perpetual license’. Though LR6 glued to a Pc and a Mac has some limitations, I can use it on my machines at no extra cost until they run out of ‘0’s and ‘1’s.
If the fee for 'Plans' would be more modest in time ahead, I will take it into considerations again.
Thanks for helping. Bjorn Stender P.

There is no LRCC anymore. It has been renamed. CC or Creative Cloud is the environment and install app as the programs still live on your device There are two versions .

Lightroom Classic which is like LR6 but with new features and current RAW support. It requires local file storage with an option to sync to the cloud if you choose to. If you sync if just sends smart previews, not the actual files.

Lightroom is a new product that was introduced in 2017. It is mobile based and automatically sends your files to the cloud.

I didn’t install Lightroom as I’m not into mobile device editing and have no interest in cloud storage at this time. It is also not as robust. I only installed and use LR Classic.

I’m not trying to sell it to you. Just explaining there is no difference between LR6 and LR Classic except you have a DVD and the other is a download. Both are on installed on the desktop.

Hi Zenon. Good advice, LR CC would definitely cure the problem.
But I do not like the idea of paying for the use of LR for many years ahead. In six month time the price for the ‘Adobe Plans’ will surpass the flat price for the LR6 DVD ROM (...in DK, 2018). And I like the term ‘folder-based, perpetual license’. Though LR6 glued to a Pc and a Mac has some limitations, I can use it on my machines at no extra cost until they run out of ‘0’s and ‘1’s.
If the fee for 'Plans' would be more modest in time ahead, I will take it into considerations again.
Thanks for helping. Bjorn Stender P.
This is I think the reason you are running into the problems that you are. LR6 is obsolete and a legacy piece of software. It can't be expected to run on every OS developed since LR6 was envisioned. Many of the big ticket vendors (like Microsoft) are adopting the subscription model. Commercial products for businesses have always used the subscription model. If anything, companies like Adobe are seeing their product in the same light as commercial application designed for business needs

The subscription fee for Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and Lightroom (cloudy) run $120USD per year. This was pretty close to the full price license for Lightroom Classic alone when it was sold with a perpetual license. A perpetual License for Photoshop was ~$1000USD or more.

By sticking with LR6 you are limited to obsolete hardware and obsolete operating systems.

Hello Zenon and Cletus. Thanks for the enlightening answers - and for the discussion elaborating on having LR6 on a perpetual basis versus applying to a subscription model with a time-based fee. The model can be recognized from Microsoft Office.

As long as the LR6 software will run smoothly on my computers, I will be satisfied by storing pictures taken from places, I have been traveling to - as well as everyday pictures. It was just the little issue about not being able to install the software.

When starting out with LightRoom (LR2) there was a fine application concerning GPS metadata: LR would show on a map, where the pictures were taken. That was appealing with a great number of traveling pictures. Sadly, that feature does not work anymore.

Thanks again for helping. Bjorn Stender P.

When starting out with LightRoom (LR2) there was a fine application concerning GPS metadata: LR would show on a map, where the pictures were taken. That was appealing with a great number of traveling pictures. Sadly, that feature does not work anymore..
Google changed their API after support for LR6 ended. The new Google API is implemented in the subscription version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"
I do wish there was a method to Copy/Move the LR6 installation to the ‘newer’ MacBook Pro to experience the speed in the engine room.

There is nothing wrong with ElCapitan. Your MacbookPro mid 2009 was delivered with a slow HDD disk (Sata)or a fast SSD disk (Sata). When you have a slow disk it is very easy to replace with a fast SSD. They are still available here and there, and cheap! Make sure that you have the right specs.
After that the little old Mac with ElCapitan will be as fast as the latest new Mac. Make it your dedicated Lightroom Mac.

Hi LexS.
Thanks for your good advice. A SSD would be nice. Flash memory is preferable to a revolving magnetic memory drive.
So far the LR6 is running OK on ‘Old Faithful’. Though, it takes some time to load and run LR6. That might be due to the fact that there are around 33.000 photos in my library catalogue, and they are placed on a 500 GB ‘My Passport’ USB drive.

Regards, Bjorn Stender P.

Bjorn,
Your Mac with ElCapitan with a SSD main disk will be about as fast as your newer Mac.
Lex

Another solution (works for me) is to install Mojave on an external SSD, boot to that drive and install Lr 6 there. See here.

Don't move any Lr files - just open the catalog file on the main (usually "Macintosh HD") drive as you normally would.

It's a bit of pain to do this as you need to change the startup disk in System Preferences and reboot every time you want to use Lr 6 or go back to your main system.

If your Mac came with Catalina or Big Sur you almost certainly will not be able to run an older version of macOS.

However, if you Mac came with Mojave or earlier, you can install Mojave again, install Lr 6, and then upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur but you might have some Adobe License manager issues to work around - see here. (see the post by kjetilj5340681 dated 7 April 2020).

Unless there is a Catalina/Big Sur feature you really want or need, then why not stay on Mojave?

Just found this: if you install Mojave on an external SSD, and boot to that drive, you can then install Lr6 on the "Macintosh HD" on your Mac; reboot to your Mac (ie boot to "Macintosh HD" with Catalina or Big Sur) you can then run Lr 6 on Catalina or Big Sur).

See the post by thedigitaldog, Adobe Community Professional , Sep 01, 2020 here: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 and Catalina

I doubt this will work on M1 Macs.

I doubt this will work on M1 Macs.
Operating systems are unique to the Architecture. MacOS does not run on the old powerPC architecture either.
MacOS 11 compiled to run on the M1 is not the same as MacOS 11 running on Intel X86.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back