• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

trouble with capture time when importing from IPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliseL

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.1.1 [ 202101041610-8c69aa4e ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello,

I transfer photos from my phone to my PC computer every few months using Lightroom Classic. I use a USB cable and the lightroom import feature. Recently the images in the import dialogue are not in the order in which they were taken, even though "sort by capture time" is checked. For example, some (but not all) photos that were taken last spring have a date of last week. They used to be not in perfect order, but pretty close and now they are completely random. Since I want to import the photos taken since I last transferred photos from my phone to my computer I need to be able to see them in the order they were taken.

My questions are:
1. Is there a way to make the photos appear in capture order in the import dialogue?
2. Is there another way to easily import full size photos from my phone into my computer?

Iphone XS
IOS version 14.3
Windows 10
Lightroom Classic

Thanks for any help!

1. There are some sort order options at the bottom of the import dialog, one of which is Capture Time.
2. I do it using the cloud syncing, i.e. I have LrMobile installed on my phone and I have it setup to automatically import/add any new phone captures (though I mainly use the LrMobile camera, whose captures are only added to the LrMobile app). So if I use the phone's camera I have to remember to start the LrMobile app in order to have the new captures imported, whereas I've already got the app running if I'm using the LrMobile camera. All new captures then automatically sync to the cloud, which means that the next time I start Lr Classic they are automatically downloaded into the catalog. Once it's all setup properly (to make sure that the new downloads are stored in the location of your choice) it becomes a totally seamless operation, i.e. take picture, leave the app running until the picture has uploaded to the cloud, then back at home start Classic and wait a few seconds for it to appear.

1. There are some sort order options at the bottom of the import dialog, one of which is Capture Time.
2. I do it using the cloud syncing, i.e. I have LrMobile installed on my phone and I have it setup to automatically import/add any new phone captures (though I mainly use the LrMobile camera, whose captures are only added to the LrMobile app). So if I use the phone's camera I have to remember to start the LrMobile app in order to have the new captures imported, whereas I've already got the app running if I'm using the LrMobile camera. All new captures then automatically sync to the cloud, which means that the next time I start Lr Classic they are automatically downloaded into the catalog. Once it's all setup properly (to make sure that the new downloads are stored in the location of your choice) it becomes a totally seamless operation, i.e. take picture, leave the app running until the picture has uploaded to the cloud, then back at home start Classic and wait a few seconds for it to appear.
Thanks, I have checked sort by capture so that's not it.

If you shoot with the native IPhone camera and then later start the LR app, will it go back and import previous photos, or just the ones taken while the LR app is running? Meaning, do you have to leave the LR app running all the time if you are using the native iphone camera?

thanks!

The auto-add function is designed to only add any new photos in the camera roll that have been added since the last time it checked. So when you set it up, nothing should immediately import. After that it will check every time you start the LrM app and will import anything added since the previous check. So no, you don't have to keep it running, just start it whenever you want to import any new images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back