Trouble tethering once power is lost with D90

Status
Not open for further replies.

kintetaylor

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
I was shooting tethered this weekend, my student turned off the power to my D90 without stopping tethered capture first. It took an hour for lightroom to recognize to the camera again. Later during the shoot the battery and again it too for ever for ever for lightroom to connect to the camera again. Anyone else experiencing this problem? How do I solve it? I have two long shoots (10+) hours this weekend and cannot afford to waste time waiting on the camera to reconnect to lightroom. I am using Lightroom 4.3 and my d90 has the latest firmware.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
1. Use Tether Tools to keep your cable connected to camera and computer
2. Set your Power Saver to a longer period of time like 15 minutes on your camera so it doesn't power down during a lull.
3. ALWAYS Close the tether dialog before powering down, disconnecting or any other interruption.
4. Have a Battery Charger with a fresh battery next to you at all times and watch your battery meter.

If you have a disconnection ie your student...

Close the tether dialog. Close Lightroom. Turn off camera. Disconnect cables at both ends. Restart Lightroom. Plug in cable to computer. Plug in cable to camera. Turn on camera. Start Tether Dialog.

If those steps fail twice. Restart computer.

In any case-from scratch it shouldn't ever take more than 60 seconds unless you have to reboot.

You should practice reconnecting before you get to the event so you have it down cold. Above all-do everything you can to avoid a disconnection while the Tether dialog is active.

JimHess43

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
It's possible that there is another issue at play here. Tethered capture is not "officially" supported on the Nikon D90. I have read comments that go something like tethered capture will probably work with this camera, but there is no official support.

kintetaylor

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
1. Use Tether Tools to keep your cable connected to camera and computer
2. Set your Power Saver to a longer period of time like 15 minutes on your camera so it doesn't power down during a lull.
3. ALWAYS Close the tether dialog before powering down, disconnecting or any other interruption.
4. Have a Battery Charger with a fresh battery next to you at all times and watch your battery meter.

If you have a disconnection ie your student...

Close the tether dialog. Close Lightroom. Turn off camera. Disconnect cables at both ends. Restart Lightroom. Plug in cable to computer. Plug in cable to camera. Turn on camera. Start Tether Dialog.

If those steps fail twice. Restart computer.

In any case-from scratch it shouldn't ever take more than 60 seconds unless you have to reboot.

You should practice reconnecting before you get to the event so you have it down cold. Above all-do everything you can to avoid a disconnection while the Tether dialog is active.

I tried all those steps and it still took forever to reconnect. I guess Ill have to be more careful. Thanks.

Carmen

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I've got a shoot on Sat and as they want a print on the day I was planning to use tethered capture for the first time so I was practising with it on my laptop just now. Tried a few power downs and disconnections on my D700 and it worked for a while and re-connected but then suddenly stopped reconnecting.... I guess I'll have to be careful on Sat!

willdoak

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Got NEFs from D90 on tether, but can't import

I just tried tethered shooting with my D90. It seems to work fine, and saved NEF files and sidecars in the new directories I set up. But I can't seem to import the NEF files as DGNs in Lr (4.4).

I see the images dimmed when I view them in the Lr Import dialog, but the Import button is never active; only the Cancel button.

What do I need to do to import these NEFs?

Cheers,

Will

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
If you are using Lightroom's tethered capture process, the images (NEFs) are fully imported by this process.....so you can't then re-import them using "Copy as DNG" because they already exist in the catalog (which is why they are greyed out and the Import button is not active). If you want to convert them to DNG go find them in the Library module after the tethered capture and use "Convert Photo to DNG" under the Library Menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.