• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Trouble importing from my own hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovbaer

Northern California in the foothills of the Sierra
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic v. 8.4.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I have a folder in Downloads with 31 .dng files in it. I am trying to import these into LR, but when I click Import and then go to the Downloads folder, nothing appears.

Show us a screen shot?

I have a folder in Downloads with 31 .dng files in it. I am trying to import these into LR, but when I click Import and then go to the Downloads folder, nothing appears.
Not a very interesting screen shot. Inside the Downloads folder is a folder with the .dngs in them. I don't think the problem is unique to this folder. I've also tried Copy as DNG, Copy and Move.

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 12.07.17 PM.png

If the photos are indeed in a sub-folder in the Downloads folder, then you need to check the "Include Subfolders" box.

For some reason I can't send you a screen shot of the files in the Finder.
If Finder can't see the subfolder or the images then LR certainly can't either. Are you saying that Finder can't see them or that you can't take a screen shot of Finder that shows them?

I removed them from the folder I had created in Downloads, so they're just sitting there waiting for Lr to see them.
If you removed the subfolder of "Downloads" the images therein using Finder, I don't understand where they are "waiting for LR to see them"? Either they are there (can be seen with finder) or they are not, and if not, there is nothing for LR to show you in the import dialog? I'm confused.

If Finder can't see them check your trash bin and restore them to some folder on your hard drive. Then go to the Import Dialog in LR and navigate to that folder.

I have a question. Does LR have customer support? or is this it! I'm feeling frustrated that I can't solve my problems. My earlier problem last week was that I couldn't move folders off my hard drive to an external drive by dragging the file folders to the new location. That is something I have done in the past.
I'm not convinced that my problems are LR problems; perhaps it's in my Macbook Pro. But I need to solve these problems.
Perhaps I need someone who can go into my computer remotely like they do with Apple support.

Adobe has live tech support for LR Classic. They can dial into your computer as part of that service. Based on feedback in this and other forums, some of the technicians you wind up with may be below par but that's true with all tech support operations. Personally I've had good luck with them, albeit that was almost a decade ago so things may have changed.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The Finder works just fine and shows the files. For some reason I couldn't grab a screen shot of the Finder to show. I also placed a copy of the .dng files on a SD card and the computer (Finder) sees the card and the files, but LR doesn't.
Where did the DNG files originate (assuming that they were downloaded from somewhere)? Perhaps uploading a couple of them to somewhere like Dropbox, and sharing the link here, would allow us to see if there's anything wrong with them which prevents Lightroom from reading them.

Where did the DNG files originate (assuming that they were downloaded from somewhere)? Perhaps uploading a couple of them to somewhere like Dropbox, and sharing the link here, would allow us to see if there's anything wrong with them which prevents Lightroom from reading them.

What I think Jim is getting at is that DNG is a container that can store many different data types. Not only RAW data and not all data types are compatible with the image data types that LR accepts.

I may have missed it but have you copied any of the files to another folder to see if LR can detect them outside of Downloads? There might be a read permissions problem on the files or the folder that they are located.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been unhappy with LR's processing of my Fuji raw files, so I tried using Iridient X-Transformer on a demo basis. I used it to create .dng files and then tried to import those into LR. Wasn't aware of different types of .dng files, but I don't think that's the answer. Why can't LR see jpg files in that same download folder? Or other folders?
What if feels like to me is that I have some setting somewhere that is instructing LR not to recognize these files. Don't know if that setting is in LR or on my Mac which is why I am not quick to criticize LR for my problem.

This is why I brought up the question of permissions. I when I had a Fuji, I tried the Irrident processor to I’m pretty sure I saved my output files as TIFF since the image out will be RGB not RAW. I don’t remember any issues importing to LR but that is my memory more than reality. I can’t say for sure there weren’t problems. Iultimately did not find a benefit to the Irrident treatment And Later I sold the Fuji as I could not produce the quality of phot that I could with my Nikon.

WHat version of Lightroom Classic? I don’t think you can get Fuji results with LR6.x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back