• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The February 2018 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Enhance Detail. Lightroom CC has lots of big improvements on the desktop, including HDR Merge, Panorama Merge, Targeted Adjustment Tool and more. The Lightroom Queen eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you using Lightroom CC on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV or in a web browser? Are you syncing your photos to the cloud? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro! It shows you how to use the full Lightroom CC ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also learn the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily.

Traveling Without a Computer

Martin Owen

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
I really think this is a case of ‘each to his own’. To some, a traditional laptop running either Windows or OSX with a mouse or track pad and built in storage is what they are comfortable with, and suits their workflow well. I do remember when people used to say a laptop couldn’t replace a desktop machine.
For others various Surface devices work very well.
Personally, I haven’t used a laptop for four years, and don’t miss it even slightly. I do use an iMac back at base, but actually use it less and less. I’ve been using iPads since they first came out and learned a new way of operating, which works for me. I don’t find it a case of adapting, more developing new and different skills.
A bit like cameras to be honest. Will my iPhone XS Max replace my DSLR? No, of course not, but I can do things with my iPhone that I struggle to do with the SLR and vice versa. Did my DSLR replace my medium format cameras? No. The SLR can do things the MF couldn’t (in many circumstances) but the MF provided abilities the SLR struggled with - again in certain circumstances.

The IPad Pro is certainly a great way of managing workflow for many photographers, amateur and pro. For others, it doesn’t work.

‘Tis the way of life.

Mickey

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I totally agree, Martin.

I have actually used a laptop for years and love them. Last few years used a desktop at home and a laptop for work which I also brought traveling. I also have an iPad Air 2 that I use for convenience because it's smaller and more portable, easy to throw in my bag, and used for email, internet and games.

I've been a Lightroom Classic user for years. I'm just trying out Lightroom CC now and reading through Victoria's book. I plan to stay with Lightroom Classic for editing but thinking about shifting to Lightroom CC while traveling.

Now that I am laptopless (is that even a word?) I had planned on buying a light laptop to use for traveling and I've been watching pricing and reading reviews for 6 months. Then I read the initial reviews of the new iPad which made me wonder if I should switch my workflow while traveling to the iPad only rather than carrying both a laptop and an iPad (plus an e-reader - I do love my tech toys!) to lighten the load.

I suppose either way works as long as you take the time to get the workflow down. Maybe I'll stay with a laptop for now since I'm familiar with that workflow and get more experience using CC with my old iPad and Classic, then try out the new iPad in a couple years when I'm ready for a new toy.

GaryP

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
4.x
I just bought the new iPad and it solved all my problems.

tomokc

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
This is a relatively new battery-powered SSD that has an SD 3.0 card slot and USB 3.0 port. It can be used as a powerbank if your iPad power runs low. The guys who edit videos on the iPad using LumaFusion rave about it. My Passport Wireless SSD | WD

tspear

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Yeah. I tried to travel without my laptop. Actually, it was good because i felt like i was free from any works, articles (i'm a copywriter), email, etc. And, it did make me enjoy my trip more than ever. However, i did need my phone. With it, i killed boring time on plane with some games from top1apk. And, it also helped me with the map. In general, i dont think we need laptop when traveling. But, we still need our phone.
I have used a dedicated eReader for years. Currently I have the Kobo H20; and this allows me to read to pass the time and leave the phone behind.