• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Travel Workflow advice

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic (8.4)
Operating System
macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hello,
I am new to this Forum as well as to Lightroom Classic. Have been using LR6 for many years but just migrated to Classic this week (Photography pkg with 20GB). I have a question relating to travel workflow and am seeking some advice. Let me describe what I used to do when I was on LR6.

When on the road (for 2-4 wks at a time) I took my MacbookPro and a large portable USB drive with me. I saved my RAW pictures on the USB drive and did preliminary processing using the LR6 on my Macbook (saving the xmp files with my RAW files).
When I returned home, I copied all the RAW and xmp files to my master NAS store, reimported them into my master catalog using LR6 on my desktop, and completed the processing as necessary. I never used the temporary catalog created on my Macbook.

Victoria had mentioned somewhere that this was NOT a good thing to do since some(?) information was lost in this process. What is the verdict on this? I was planning to use the same workflow with Lightroom Classic installed on both my desktop and laptop since I am leary of trying to use Lightroom CC when I am on the road.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Pathy
Fremont, CA

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Welcome to the forums, Pathy!

If it works for you, then that's good. You do lose some things doing it your way, some of which probably don't matter to you if the workflow works for oyu. For example, Collections, Stacking. The one thing that would bother me is losing the History, but again, if that's not important to you (and you can always reset the photo and start over) then fine!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
The move from Lr6 to Lr8 will make no difference. And the xmp method will bring over most of your work on the pictures, but why lose any? Flags and history, for example, as well as the others that Paul mentioned.

Another issue is that importing the temporary catalogue will prevent a range of errors or time wasters. For instance, let's say you accidentally or deliberately imported a day's files onto your laptop's hard drive, then forgot, or you accidentally hit Remove instead of Delete. The xmp method will mean that that day's files won't show up as missing when you import from the NAS, and those removed photos will be re-imported and waste your time culling them again. That's just a couple of examples, and importing the temporary catalogue would give you better control than the xmp method.

But also consider an alternative. It has been mentioned here before, but you can take your master catalogue with you and include smart previews. Copy the catalogue and smart previews onto the USB drive before, import new photos into it, copy the catalogue back to your desktop afterwards, and fix the folder location. I find this most helpful when I am returning to a location as I generate smart previews for that area. It means I can review previous visits to a location and plan how to tackle it again. Maybe I'll copy keywords and other metadata to new pictures, often saving time. You'll also have smart preview-level access to many more existing files. Since smart previews were introduced, this has been my preferred way to handle the travel catalogue workflow.

John

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
When I I travel I create a catalogue on my laptop and name it based on the trip. I keep my files on a portable drive. When I get home I cpoy the catalogue to the portable drive, plug it into the iMac and use the Import From Another Catalogue command. It merges the trip catalogue into the master and moves the files off the drive. I've never noticed any information missing. I keep it basic. I don't create collections, etc until I get home.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Thank you all, Paul, John and Zenon, for your suggestions! It is a privilege to be part of such a helpful forum.
Of the three suggestions, the one from Zenon will work best for me. It is only a minor variant from what I do now and it overcomes the deficiencies. This will work perfectly for me since I don't need access to my master catalog when I am away.
Thank you all again.

Pathy

Woodbutcher

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Yep, I basically do what Zenon does. I do a little with collections on the laptop and some edits, but not a lot. Usually just culling out the bad shots. One this that helps is having the same path structure where you store the files on both computers and the same folder name convention on imports. Both of mine go into Pictures/Lightroom/cameraModel/month-day-year sort of a pattern. That way the import as catalog drops them in the same subfolder structure. Keeps things clean and simple. Hope I didn't confuse you with that, but you'll figure it out as you look at the dialog box for the Import as Catalog.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Welcome to the forum Pathy! For a bit more detail on the workflow Zenon suggested, have a look under the Import from a Temporary Catalog heading on page 413 of your book. That'll run though the odd details to look out for.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Now that everyone has agreed on "Importing from another Catalog", I want to bring up another approach that I have been experimenting with. "Importing from another Catalog" is the method that I promoted until just recently.
Once Classic and the Cloud got sufficiently merged, I started using Lightroom (Cloudy) on my MBP laptop. Any of my Classic Images that I think I might need or use in traveling I put into collections and sync those collections with the Adobe Cloud. In the field, I now run the Cloudy version of Lightroom instead of Classic. New Photos go in the Lightroom Cloudy app and eventually when I have a high speed internet connection get sync'd to the cloud and eventually back to LR Classic on my desktop. I still carry a EHD to make a backup of the images imported into LR (Cloudy). So far, this has worked pretty good on the extended trip that I took in early August.

My 13" MBP is old and slow (dual core) recently I have replaced it with a 13" iPadPro I have an EHD for the iPad Pro (for image backup) and I plan to use the iPadPro for my travel workflow instead of the MBP.