• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

'Travel' catalogue, 'move' vs. 'copy' external storage, and back....

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I currently have an 8T RAID TB2 with all my images (180K+,+/- 5TB? old images were .jpg only, plus 2 other external backups with CCC) on it where I work on my 27" iMac. My Catalogue in on an SSD external plugged in the back of the 8T. I am faced with having to leave my House#1 on Monday for about 3-5 mos and I would like to re-cull images from 10-15 yrs ago. I have enough storage in multiple SSD to move (copy?) the old images to to do this work while I am flying and staying at House #2.
My main concern is how do I do this effectively so that upon my return it's not a giant mess sorting it all out and is it even possible to do the work so that 8T knows thousands of images have been culled?
I thought of just bringing 8T with me and plugging into MBP. Is that easier? I'd prefer not to 'risk' the 8T though as it is where all the photos live.
Should I make a 'Travel' catalogue and move everything to the SSD's, do my work and when I get back wipe the 8T?
I don't use the cloud version for anything but immediate need....
I would like to do it the safest way possible. Any insight would be very much appreciated. Cheers!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
My thought would be to take a copy of the master Catalog file and Smart Previews folder with you to House#2. While at House#2, simply mark the images that you want to cull as rejected(X). Upon return to House#1, use the "Import from another catalog". to merge the travel catalog to the master catalog. At that point you can delete all of the accumulated rejected (X) images.

Alternately, if your master catalog at House#1 is going to be untouched during your absence, you can simply replace the master catalog with the travel catalog and once reunited with the original images on the 8TB TB2 EHD you can then delete the rejected (X) images.