• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Transferring Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitjv

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I recently bought a older MacBook as my traveling computer. On a recent trip to Alaska, I imported images from my camera into a Collection on the internal drive in Lightroom. Although I do not plan to edit these images until I get home, I did keyword & added captions to the images to keep them organized & jog my failing memory.

What would be the best way to export these images (with all keywording & metadata) from my MacBook to my iMac? My search on this forum was more confusing than clarifying. Thank you for your help.

Kit

You have a catalog and image files with everything on the travel computer . If you can copy these files and folders to your master computer You can use the Import from another catalog and import the travel catalog (and associated images) to the master catalog on the iMac. If this is not easy, then you can (on the travel computer) use the Export as a Catalog function to create a package consisting of a folder (I'll designate this as Travel Catalog Export folder) that contains the exported catalog file and folders containing the images associated with that catalog. Copy the Travel Catalog Export folder) including its contents to a location available to the Master catalog (This can be a portable drive) Then use the Import from another catalog function to bring the travel catalog work and the associated image into the iMac,

You have a catalog and image files with everything on the travel computer . If you can copy these files and folders to your master computer You can use the Import from another catalog and import the travel catalog (and associated images) to the master catalog on the iMac.

By importing the files & folders from the travel computer, are you suggesting connecting the 2 computers via cable (e.g. USB)?

Hi Kit,

Better to use either Wi-Fi or Ethernet. You need to have sharing turned on in System preferences on your laptop. Use your home computer as the starting point and connect to your laptop by clicking in it in Shared section of the Finder sidebar or by using the Finger Go menu and select Connect to Server. That will ask you to login on with a username/password on your laptop. Then you can browse the laptop to find your travel catalog and image

Then do as Cletus has suggested.

-louie

Having followed your instructions, I selected the LR catalog (i.e. lrcat) on the laptop. However, I got an error message: " LR cannot import this catalog. The catalog does not appear to be a valid LR catalog". Also (I don't know if this is relevant), the LR Catalog Previews (i.e. lrdata) was greyed out on the laptop.

Having followed your instructions, I selected the LR catalog (i.e. lrcat) on the laptop.

You need to copy the catalog over to the iMac, as it won't let you import a catalog over the network.

You need to copy the catalog over to the iMac, as it won't let you import a catalog over the network.
Thanks, Victoria. Does this means that I need to copy the catalog on the laptop to an external drive & then connect that drive to the iMac to import the catalog? Also, will I need to import anything else other than the catalog itself (i.e. the lrcat)?

Thanks, Victoria. Does this means that I need to copy the catalog on the laptop to an external drive & then connect that drive to the iMac to import the catalog? Also, will I need to import anything else other than the catalog itself (i.e. the lrcat)?
Yes. Using an EHD to port the Travel catalog and images to a place where when connected to the iMac the master catalog can see both the travel catalog and the images referenced bt the travel catalog. The "lrcat" file is the file. (Catalog) that contains the information about the image files.

Following Cletus' suggestion to export the catalog from my travel computer to an external drive & then import that catalog into my desktop computer, I must have omitted something -- specifically, the original files. I discovered this when I attempted to delete several of the transferred images from the internal drive on my desktop computer. I got a message that "the original files are missing". Sure enough, when I looked in Folders, the files were not there.

As I recall, when I exported the catalog from my travel computer to the external drive, I selected the images to be transferred & then transferred the "lrcat" file only. I assumed that in doing so I was transferring the original images. I apparently assumed wrong. Could you please help me? Thank you!

If you include the originals, and then delete them, they'll still be there on the desktop when you return. Instead, mark them as rejects on the travel catalog and then delete them you get home.

I'm sorry, Victoria, but I'm a bit confused (due to my lack of knowledge undoubtedly). Let me rephrase my question.

When I export images from my travel computer to an external drive & then finally to my desktop computer when I get home, specifically which files do I need to transfer (other than the "lrcat" file) in order to move the original images permanently from my travel computer to my desktop computer?

Thank you for your patience.

Victoria: I might have been able to answer my own question. After I select "Import From Another Catalog" to transfer the lrcat file from the external drive to the desktop computer, I then navigated to Lightroom > Folders Panel > Volumes > External Drive. From the external drive, I selected transferred images & dragged/dropped them onto my Folders Panel. Now it seems that I now have all of the data in the transferred lrcat file plus the original images in Lightroom on my desktop computer. Am I correct??? Thank you kindly.

You are! Well done!

Once it occurred to me that the lrcat file only contained the metadata & the smart previews, I knew that I omitted transferring the original images. As usual.....thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back