• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Transfer to new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
LTR 5.6
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
My son tells me I need to replace my 5-year-old PC which is using Windows 10. If I buy a new desk top PC will I be able to re-install LTR with the disk from my original purchase which I still have? It just says “Lightroom 5” so I guess it isn’t 5.6. If I can install it on my new computer will Adobe then allow me to update it to the 5.6 version, or will I fall back to what I suppose is the 5.0 version on the disk?

Same question for Photoshop: using the CD I have will I be able to install Photoshop CS5 on my new computer, and if there are any updates will I be able to incorporate them and update the software to whatever is now available? (Mine says “Version 12.0.4x64”.)

I know there are advantages to the new CC version but I don't like paying a monthly fee and my current LTR and PS have been doing everything I need. That's my main reason for delaying buying a new PC. And I need to keep everything simple.

Hi Ollie, yes, that's fine.

Here's the instructions on how to move your Lightroom catalog without losing anything: How do I move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen

You can jump straight to latest LR5 update (5.7.1) from here: Download Photoshop Lightroom
Likewise, there are downloads available for CS5 as long as you still have the serial number Download Adobe Creative Suite 5 products

The only thing to bear in mine is that Lightroom 5 wasn't officially supported on LR5, although it seems to still be working fine. Worst case scenario, you could pay the upgrade to Lightroom 6, without having to go subscription.

Typically you go to the help menu and "sign out" (LR) or "deactivate" (PS). Adobe allows only two active copies of either program. You can install the program on many more computers but again only two can be working at any point in time. To reactivate a program sign in or activate. You can do this numerous times. Comes in handy if you have a couple kids each owning laptops that are photographers and you only purchase one copy of Lightroom or
Photoshop.

Typically you go to the help menu and "sign out" (LR) or "deactivate" (PS). Adobe allows only two active copies of either program. You can install the program on many more computers but again only two can be working at any point in time. To reactivate a program sign in or activate. You can do this numerous times. Comes in handy if you have a couple kids each owning laptops that are photographers and you only purchase one copy of Lightroom or
Photoshop.
An anecdote:

A few weeks ago Windows 10 got hopelessly corrupted, and the only remedy was to wipe the partition, and reinstall Windows and all my applications and utilities. :cry: I was concerned about activating Lightroom as part of the re-install process, since I obviously didn't deactivate it before the Windows crash. I was concerned that I would need to either spend time on the phone or exchange a series of emails with Adobe support. As things turned out, the new Lightroom install activated right away.

The only point I would raise is that you must now install Lightroom from the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop utility. You can no longer download a full binary for Lightroom 7. For older versions of Lightroom, binary downloads are still available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back