transfer problem: LR2.7 to LR4.2 __uncertain as to correct procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

viarmois

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
LR 2.7 catalog.pngBonsoir,SnapShot.png

A simple question for which I am not certain I have understood the differing procedures...

I switched from XP to W7 then tried to transfer my LR2.7 catalogue to LR4.2 manually.
Fine, except that the collections naturally did not follow.

My set up in the library is as above.
The LR2.7 catalog_2 ( converted to LR4 format ) is the catalogue I wish to keep as master.

My question is thus: how and where to place the LR2.7 catalog_2 as the single, complete, source in LR4 , at the same time renaming it as a LR4 catalogue ( 'new LR4....', for expl.)

I would keep the actual, incomplete LR4 catalog as a temp back up - just in case.

Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• catalog 2.7.jpg
    catalog 2.7.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 293
I'm not really following this. Could you explain what you meant by:
tried to transfer my LR2.7 catalogue to LR4.2 manually.
Fine, except that the collections naturally did not follow.

The correct method for upgrading would have been to install LR4, start it, and if it didn't automatically find the LR2 catalog you would do File>Open Catalog and select the LR2 catalog. Lightroom would then tell you that the catalog needs to be upgraded and ask you if you want to continue. During the upgrade LR4 will give you the option of choosing a name and location for the new catalog (the old catalog is not changed at all, it remains where it is, although the associated previews cache is "stolen" by the upgrade and is used as the preview cache for your new upgraded catalog). All collections, etc, should transfer during this process,

Could you just clarify what you did?

I'm not really following this. Could you explain what you meant by:

The correct method for upgrading would have been to install LR4, start it, and if it didn't automatically find the LR2 catalog you would do File>Open Catalog and select the LR2 catalog. Lightroom would then tell you that the catalog needs to be upgraded and ask you if you want to continue. During the upgrade LR4 will give you the option of choosing a name and location for the new catalog (the old catalog is not changed at all, it remains where it is, although the associated previews cache is "stolen" by the upgrade and is used as the preview cache for your new upgraded catalog). All collections, etc, should transfer during this process,

Could you just clarify what you did?

Morning,

I believe that I used the procedure you put forth. ( my notion of manual). However, I must have missed a key as the collections did not feature in my new catalogue.

As I must change computor - this one being too old to cope with LR4 & W7 - I will load LR4 as you described.

Thank you for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back