• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Transfer pictures from Lightroom App (I Phone) to computer Lightroom C (v10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucie.ziegler

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
hello everybody,

So for a while i've been trying to get my pictures from I Phone camera roll on my computer. ( have a surface book pro)
This task has been harder than i would have assumed. At first i simply tried to connect my phone to the computer and import the photos via Lightroom Import function. This didn't work because it messed up all the metadata all all my 14'000 photos were out of order.
Then i tried to upload them via the "photos" programm from windos. This didn't work either because it alway said that something went wrong during the upload.
I also tried via I cloud but got very confused with it.
So now my new aproach is to upload the pictured through the Lightroom app on the I phone. Can anyone help me out with this. What is the next step after loading the pictures on the App?
Is the method with the app the easiest or should i use another way that i haven't thought about?

I would be veeeeery thankful for your advice since i'm really starting to get frustrated with this task :(

The Lightroom Mobile app is the way to proceed.
On the phone you can set up the Import in Settings to auto import from the Photos Camera Roll or you can use the camera through Lightroom mobile.
Images in Lightroom Mobile are stored in your subscription plan storage. So if you have the 20GB plan you will need to manage the images that stay in your Adobe cloud plan storage.
To get images from your Adobe Cloud storage to Lightroom Classic, you need to turn on synching in Lightroom Classic
In Lightroom Classic System preferences, there is a field to specify the local folder(s) to receive images sync'd from the Adobe cloud.
At the top of Lightroom Classic is the module bar. And to the right of the module names is a cloud with a gear icon Clicking on that will let you start or pause the syncing process.

On the phone you can set up the Import in Settings to auto import from the Photos Camera Roll
I agree with Cletus that using LrMobile is the simplest process for getting photos from the Camera Roll on your iPhone into LrClassic. One thing to know, however, is that the auto-import option in the LrMobile Import settings will only apply to any new pictures taken after enabling that option. Pre-existing photos in the Camera Roll are not auto-imported, but they can be imported manually.

On the phone you can set up the Import in Settings to auto import from the Photos Camera Roll or you can use the camera through Lightroom mobile.
Images in Lightroom Mobile are stored in your subscription plan storage. So if you have the 20GB plan you will need to manage the images that stay in your Adobe cloud plan storage.
To get images from your Adobe Cloud storage to Lightroom Classic, you need to turn on synching in Lightroom Classic
In Lightroom Classic System preferences, there is a field to specify the local folder(s) to receive images sync'd from the Adobe cloud.
At the top of Lightroom Classic is the module bar. And to the right of the module names is a cloud with a gear icon Clicking on that will let you start or pause the syncing process.
Dear Clee,
Thank you so much for your rapid response. :)
I have the 20 GB storage, which isn't enough for all the 14'000 pictures, is there a way to upgrade this?
Also i don' quite get what the location preference means in the setting. is this about in which folder the uploaded photos will be stored on the computer? (picture 1)
Another question is: once i have uploaded the photos, can i just take them and drag them into another folder? like on my server etc.? for example in my case from Data D: to my server?

Thank you so so much for your help, sorry i sometimes get very confused with these IT things..

Attachments

• Screenshot (20)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (20)_LI.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot (22)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (22)_LI.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 79
I have the 20 GB storage, which isn't enough for all the 14'000 pictures, is there a way to upgrade this?
You unlikely do not have 20 GB of images on the iPhone. When moving images from the iPhone to the Lightroom Catalog on the Computer, the Adobe Storage in the cloud needs to be considered temporary. Once the image files have arrived on your computer you can remove them from the cloud and free up that 20GB of your plan storage. When the iPhone images have fully synched, they will appear in the designated storage folder in the folder panel and in a Special collection in the Catalog panel called "All Synched Photographs". If you remove them from "All Synched Photographs", they will no longer be synched to the Adobe cloud and you will be free to use the 20GB plan for other things or more images from the iPhone.

To answer your question about upgrading, you can subscribe to a plan with more Cloud Storage. There is a 1TB Photography plan that includes every app that you have in the 20GB Photography Plan only with 1TB of cloud storage. This 1TB Photography Plan subscription is twice the cost of the 20GB Photography plan.
Also i don' quite get what the location preference means in the setting. is this about in which folder the uploaded photos will be stored on the computer? (picture 1)
Yes, this is about which folder on the computer that the synch operation will store the synched photos.
Another question is: once i have uploaded the photos, can i just take them and drag them into another folder? like on my server etc.? for example in my case from Data D: to my server?
Once the images are stored locally, you can move them to any folder that you like. You can automatically let Lightroom Classic create date named folder based upon the capture date. Since you can't effectively used named folders for organization, It is recommended that you import all of your images into date named folders (which Lightroom can do automatically) and use collections and keywords for organization. Since you have not chosen to do this, your manual efforts at creating themed folders can be continued and you will have to move your images into these themed folders.

One thing not mentioned for those with the 20GB Photography plan. Only images that originate in Lightroom mobile or the Lightroom app on the computer use the storage space in the plan. Any image in the Lightroom Classic catalog that originates in the Catalog can be synched from a Collection created in the Collection panel. In this case, Lightroom Classic does not send the full size image but synchs a smaller proxy image. These LrC originated images reside outside of your 20 GB storage plan and do not count against the 20 GBs in your plan.

You unlikely do not have 20 GB of images on the iPhone. When moving images from the iPhone to the Lightroom Catalog on the Computer, the Adobe Storage in the cloud needs to be considered temporary. Once the image files have arrived on your computer you can remove them from the cloud and free up that 20GB of your plan storage. When the iPhone images have fully synched, they will appear in the designated storage folder in the folder panel and in a Special collection in the Catalog panel called "All Synched Photographs". If you remove them from "All Synched Photographs", they will no longer be synched to the Adobe cloud and you will be free to use the 20GB plan for other things or more images from the iPhone.

To answer your question about upgrading, you can subscribe to a plan with more Cloud Storage. There is a 1TB Photography plan that includes every app that you have in the 20GB Photography Plan only with 1TB of cloud storage. This 1TB Photography Plan subscription is twice the cost of the 20GB Photography plan.

Yes, this is about which folder on the computer that the synch operation will store the synched photos.

Once the images are stored locally, you can move them to any folder that you like. You can automatically let Lightroom Classic create date named folder based upon the capture date. Since you can't effectively used named folders for organization, It is recommended that you import all of your images into date named folders (which Lightroom can do automatically) and use collections and keywords for organization. Since you have not chosen to do this, your manual efforts at creating themed folders can be continued and you will have to move your images into these themed folders.

One thing not mentioned for those with the 20GB Photography plan. Only images that originate in Lightroom mobile or the Lightroom app on the computer use the storage space in the plan. Any image in the Lightroom Classic catalog that originates in the Catalog can be synched from a Collection created in the Collection panel. In this case, Lightroom Classic does not send the full size image but synchs a smaller proxy image. These LrC originated images reside outside of your 20 GB storage plan and do not count against the 20 GBs in your plan.
Thank You Thank You!! This had helped me a lot to understand the lightroom jungle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back