• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Transfer of folders from one external drive to another with Lightroom Edits

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatieB

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have two external drives. I keep all my photos on my Elements external drive. I was traveling and wanted to play and make edits on some of the folders so I copied them to my Passport traveling external drive. Now I'm home and want to organize and get those folders back on my main hard drive. When I do I'm going to presume that all the edits I made on my photo's will copy over to the folder on the Elements hard drive.

I have two external drives. I keep all my photos on my Elements external drive. I was traveling and wanted to play and make edits on some of the folders so I copied them to my Passport traveling external drive. Now I'm home and want to organize and get those folders back on my main hard drive. When I do I'm going to presume that all the edits I made on my photo's will copy over to the folder on the Elements hard drive.
You assume wrong. Edits are stored in the catalog, not in the images. That means that the question is how you made those edits. Did you use Lightroom? Which catalog?

You assume wrong. Edits are stored in the catalog, not in the images. That means that the question is how you made those edits. Did you use Lightroom? Which catalog?

Hello John, thank you for reaching out. Yes, I temporarily had forgotten this. Doesn't pay to get old sometimes. I am using Lightroom. So when I was traveling I worked from my laptop with Lightroom and did merge, copy my catalog from my laptop to my desktop when I returned. So as along as I have done this then Lightroom will recognize (no questions marks as though it cannot find my photo's) regardless which external drive I work from since the catalog from my laptop which I did all the edits on was transferred to my desktop. Correct?

So when I was traveling I worked from my laptop with Lightroom and did merge, copy my catalog from my laptop to my desktop when I returned.
"merge, copy"? What you need to do in cases like this is either copy the catalog to the laptop and on return copy it back and overwrite the main catalog, or -much better and safer- use 'Export as catalog' to create a catalog for the laptop and 'Import from Another Catalog' on return.

"merge, copy"? What you need to do in cases like this is either copy the catalog to the laptop and on return copy it back and overwrite the main catalog, or -much better and safer- use 'Export as catalog' to create a catalog for the laptop and 'Import from Another Catalog' on return.

Thank you so much for this information. I will do this moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back