• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV and Web? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! New cameras (including the Canon R5/R6), lens profiles and bug fixes, and the ability to disable built-in lens corrections for specific new cameras. Here's the usual list

Transfer from camera to iPad

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
Operating System
macOS 10.15 Catalina
Is there a way to transfer photos from a DSLR(Can 5d3) to an Apple iPad ? Possibly using a USB to lighting cable?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Apple (and probably some 3rd parties) makes a dongle that accepts SD cards and plugs into the lightning port. After connecting the dongle and SD card, you can import the pictures to the Photos App, Files app, and now also directly into LR for ios. Photos app does accept RAW.

(However, recently my attempts to import directly to LR have failed, so I go to Photos first, then import into LR, then delete from Photos. It’s inconvenient but is my best option when traveling. When I get back to my PC I copy from to my HDD from the LRCC sync)

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Apple (and probably some 3rd parties) makes a dongle that accepts SD cards and plugs into the lightning port. After connecting the dongle and SD card, you can import the pictures to the Photos App, Files app, and now also directly into LR for ios. Photos app does accept RAW.

(However, recently my attempts to import directly to LR have failed, so I go to Photos first, then import into LR, then delete from Photos. It’s inconvenient but is my best option when traveling. When I get back to my PC I copy from to my HDD from the LRCC sync)
Thanks for that info, much appreciated.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Direct import from card reader to Lightroom on iPad works great, I’ve tried it a few times, and it’s been pretty reliable ever since Apple released iPad OS 13.2 and Adobe updated Lightroom for iOS to match. Now you can completely bypass Apple Photos in two ways:
  • Copy images directly from a camera card to a folder on the iPad, using the Files app in iOS
  • Import images directly from a camera card to Lightroom
The adapter that works is the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter. It's the one with a pass-through Lightning port, which is used to provide power to an attached USB card reader, storage drive, or other device. In many cases you will need a power source plugged into that Lightning port, such as an AC adapter, computer, or a USB power bank. Otherwise iOS might complain about not having enough power for the device.

I am not sure if any other adapter will work. If you get the Apple Lightning to USB (not USB 3) adapter that has only a USB-A port and no power connection, there will be no way to power USB card readers and other devices.

Victoria’s book Adobe Lightroom: Edit Like A Pro lists the steps for importing to Lightroom on an iOS device, starting on page 34. It also describes the differences between doing this in iOS 13.2 or later vs iOS 13.1 or earlier. You can avoid Apple Photos only if the iPad is on iOS 13.2 or later . The book also reminds us that videos may not transfer.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Victoria’s book Adobe Lightroom: Edit Like A Pro lists the steps for importing to Lightroom on an iOS device, starting on page 34. It also describes the differences between doing this in iOS 13.2 or later vs iOS 13.1 or earlier. You can avoid Apple Photos only if the iPad is on iOS 13.2 or later . The book also reminds us that videos may not transfer.
On your LR Classic Other Downloads page, there's a bonus ebook on using the iPad for travel, that's got the iOS13.2+ instructions in it too.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version

Like HobbyJohn, I can no longer import photos from my memory card directly into LR mobile on my iPad Pro using Apple's Lightning to SD card reader. It doesn't seem to recognise that anything is connected. I have to import them into Photos app first, and delete them from there later once they've automatically loaded into LR. Is anyone aware of a fix for this?

I'm on the latest iOS and LR app.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
2.x

thank you

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Direct import from card reader to Lightroom on iPad works great, I’ve tried it a few times, and it’s been pretty reliable ever since Apple released iPad OS 13.2 and Adobe updated Lightroom for iOS to match. Now you can completely bypass Apple Photos in two ways:
  • Copy images directly from a camera card to a folder on the iPad, using the Files app in iOS
  • Import images directly from a camera card to Lightroom”
End quote.
Thanks for the great tip, now I can bypass Photos.

Last edited:

Wil

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I use iXpand drive usb from sandisk and is direct connected to my ipad. I can send/copy photos in raw format direct from my ipad to this usb drive. I only download them first into my photo album to sort the bad ones and upload the others from photos in this drive.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I use iXpand drive usb from sandisk and is direct connected to my ipad. I can send/copy photos in raw format direct from my ipad to this usb drive. I only download them first into my photo album to sort the bad ones and upload the others from photos in this drive.
I have a portable USB-C drive called iDiskk. It does the same role that you use the iXpand disk for, I do not use the iPadOS Photos app or storage, I milord directly into Lightroom (mobile) from the camera card and later move these to the iDiskk.

Reactions: Wil