• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Total Number Of Images Does Not Equal Number of Master Plus Virtual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnits

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
In my Catalog the 'All Photographs' total is 113,755.

Using the Attribute Filter Bar (having selected all images) I find the following.
Original Images 113,225
Virtual Images 473
Videos 54

Total Original + Virtual + Videos = 113,752

This is 3 images less than the total of 113,755.

I have unstacked all images. I also have 1 missing image, which does not account for the difference.

Has anyone got any ideas how to account for the difference.

The missing 3 images is minor in the scheme of things. I am doing this exercise because I am about to check the relative health of a catalog with 700,000 images after a rebuild of a disk drive with 330,000 images.

Easier to work on my own catalog before checking out the larger catlog with a troubled history.

Any insights appreciated.

113698​

I'd bet on the Helper file being out of date, so my first try would be quit LR, delete the helper file next to the catalog and then try again.

Thanks for the insight. Interesting.

Will explore.

I assume deleting the file will cause it to be rebuilt when I next open Lr.

Do you know what triggers a refresh of this file.

Good suggestion ...... especially as this holds counts of images per folder...

I closed Lr, renamed the Helper file and restarted Lr.

I can see a new Helper file has been built (this time bigger than the original) .... but...

Num of Original + Virtual + Video is still less than the total image count.

I do not want to waste people's time on this. I was just hoping there might be an obvious answer. I will update this post if I find anything useful.

Anomalies like this may explain some odd behaviour from time to time (ie logic of Lr is at odds with actual data).

Good mystery. Definitely all stacks are open ( just in case there are any you missed?)

Oh we do love a good mystery

OK - I love a good mystery too.

I am now traveling and have a small catalog with me. It is a new pc, and I mainly use it for processing shots I make when I travel, which I will export to a new catalog when I get home. That will then be merged with my master on a desktop. I also use it for processing folders of shots with Topaz, as it is much faster than my desktop at this time.
I have all my photos (I believe) on either a SSD or an external drive I brought with me which has just the shots I took in 2021 and 2022 YTD.

So - when I look at my catalog - all photos says I have 8429 photos.

When I go to attributes and count, I get Originals - 8344, Virtual copies - 0 and videos 80 . These total to 8424, or 5 short of all photos.

Hmmm.
I may have to cross section them again in some way.
If I find where the 5 are, I'll let you know.

Thanks..... I am not worried about the few images missing on my own catalog... curious and will explore further in due course ...
I will be working on a catalog with 700k images and will be starting with a situation where there will be 330,000 images missing. When I do recover those images I will be curious to see this tot... On my own catalog, I found a much larger difference initially, until I realised that the videos selection was turned off. .... which accounted for most of the difference.

It looks like it is related to stacking.
My 5 missing photos all appeared when I "expanded all stacks".
I did get one back when I "unstacked" a group that I thought was already unstacked.

And I thought I had more than that stacked, so it must have been related to a type of stacked file.

Can't replicate your issue. In my catalog, the All Photographs shows the same as a smart collection (rule: 0 or more stars), which is the same as the sum of Masters + VC's + Videos when the source is the smart collection.

I think you may be on the correct track. I have expanded all stacks several times... to ensure stacks were not the issue.

I spotted this not long ago. The difference here looks like my root cause.

1654727104305.png

My instinct, in my case, is that Lr has a record for the 113755 photos, but cannot find the photo for the 3 missing. Either there is a hidden stack or a minor corruption somewhere.

My catalog has been with me since the start of the beta, so would not be surprised if there is a gremlin in the tables somewhere. On the other hand, there might be some trick available to expand a hidden stack....

Well done for your research.

I did the same exercise on my largest catalog and observed a similar discrepancy. After a fair bit of double-entry bookkeeping, I tracked it down to how I was selecting Original Photos:

1654728996755.png

See if you can spot the problem. Answer in my next reply -- don't peek!

I had Unflagged Photos as well as Original Photos selected. I've always hated the design of that part of the Attribute filters -- though I'm on a calibrated display, I find it hard to tell which flags are selected. It's much clearer in the mini-Filter bar in the filmstrip, with its black background.

Virtual missing from the count. ??

If so, I made the same mistake, but had not clicked on videos, which account for my initial large discrepancy.

I opened your catalog and used the same Attribute filters.
113227 photos
474 VC's
54 videos
and I get 113755 selected

However I note you're on 11.2, and I'm checking on 11.3... could be a bug that was fixed.

I just sent you an email as I heard an email of your post come thru.....

I opened Lr this morning and the correct numbers appeared.

I had closed Lr several times since I spotted the problem and had also rebooted my PC a few times.

Various backups ran this morning between 5 and 6 ... not sure if they may have ruffled some temp files or similar.

Will post details for others to view.

Update to all.

I opened Lr this morning to see if I could spot anything obvious.

Following JohnREllis remarks re the colour of background in the filter bar... I was going to check those in detail.

Surprise surprise.... all numbers now tally .. with minor changes to Original,Virtual and Video totals, but now all add up to the total number of images.

I have no explanation for this.

While I closed LR last night (as I had done several times before) left my PC to enter a sleep state, so various backups would take place automatically between 5 and 6 am this morning. I got email messages as each backup completed successfully and then just opened Lr to discover the numbers were now correct...

Strange...

Like Gnits, I could open and close LR 11.3.1 and occasionally get different attribute numbers, but generally only varying by 1 or 2; sometimes by just redoing the counts in a different order. I never got full agreement with the "All Photographs" number until I selected all the photographs and then "expanded all stacks".
Since then, I have added 190 new photos. I'll process for a while, stacking a few, and redo some of the counts and see what happens.

Some tips for troubleshooting these issues:

- Instead of collapsing and expanding stacks, which takes a lot of clicks and can be sluggish, use Califdan's suggestion for a smart collection "All Photos" defined as:
1654797895962.png

Unlike filters, smart collections ignore all stacking.

- After selecting the "All Photos" smart collection, use the free trial of the Filter command of Any Filter to count by various dimensions and drill down:

1654798156983.png

(This is what I did to track down the mistakenly selected "unflagged" button.) Any Filter gets its data from the catalog, not the user interface, so if there are problems in LR's Filter bar, you'll see a discrepancy between the Filter bar and Any Filter.

- Infrequently over the users, there have been reports of the Filter bar getting into curious states, and clicking the dropdown menu next to the Filter bar's lock icon and doing Restore Default Presets sometimes fixes it. (Don't worry, that command won't affect any filter presets you've defined.) I've had to do this perhaps three times in 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back