• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Topaz Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon515

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hello,

I've recently started using DeNoise and Sharpen and I'm wondering if there is a way in LRC when a batch completes to flag or identify the original file so I can sort by the old extension or unique indicator so I can easily sort/delete original files?

Thanks,
Jon

Why would you want to delete the original file? The Topaz derivative is fixed and hard coded If your original was a lossy JPEG, your Topaz derivative is an even lossier JPEG. The original JPEG was lossy compressed and data was lost. The file sent to Topaz was compressed and more data was lost. Topaz made changes and even more data was lost when it was compressed and saved. So the returning JPEG has lost data in three different episodes of lossy compression and expansion.

You should be shooting RAW where the original data is preserved losslessly. Any JPEG made from that will only incur 1st generation lossy compression. If you use a lossless file format like TIFF, you never suffer the effects of lossy compression.

If you shoot RAW, the file extension makes it easy to tell the original from any derivatives. If your Original is a JPEG, you can use an identifying keyword to note original JPEGs. You can create a collection of originals and never save a derivative to that collection.

Again, Cletus speaks words of wisdom, which applies even if you don't use Topaz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back