To DNG or not to DNG ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rooeey

How many people stick with just DNG ??

I am thinking of dropping CR2 and going DNG delete RAW on import but am a little concerned i may be cutting off my nose despite my face....

How ever what i am asking is would Adobes DNG format more likely become the mainstream and be around longer as Adobe is the most prominent software provider for Digital image enhancements and adjustments...

Thanks Mark, it's good to see other work flows and points of view, sometimes we just do things different!!!:cheesy:

Who is upside down depends on where you stand Denis !!!!:lol::lol::lol::cheesy::shock:

DNG being rewritten? Prefer sidecars

As we edit a DNG the file has to be rewritten, seems to me - that is, at least opened, changed, and closed to enable the inclusion of the edit settings. If there's a fault during that process for any reason (power spike, computer freeze, some internal conflict, etc.) seems to me the "new" DNG is now suspect if not corrupt.

But instead, if you keep the original raw file and write only sidecars, the proprietary raw file is never updated and therefore is a real archived, original file that to me is safer.

That, plus the ability to use updated DPP and Capture NX2, etc. processors on those files makes more sense to me to not use DNG. I'm not aware of any updating or special features in the DNG converter, but there are in the proprietary software issuances and that makes them more attractive to use in the future.

However, I don't know how to auto-back up on another drive after the editing is done. We get automatic upload backup in LR, but the backup drive doesn't automatically back up the sidecars. I've been manually copying the exported JPGs and the sidecars to the external backup drive. Is there a better way? I'd prefer that LR do this for me. Perhaps LR could autobackup the DNGs, then I'd be more likely to use DNG. But then it should offer backing up the sidecars, too.

Tell me if there's something I'm not seeing here ???

Don,

The possible DNG corruption is also true for NEF files when edited with CaptureNX as it writes all changes back to the NEF file.

However irretrievable corruption is extremely unlikely, because they are only writing back to a known and documented header area, which doesn't go near the image data itself.

I dng all my files at import, have done for about 2 years now. Only regret is that I can't use something like DxO or Canon's DPP to do lens distortion corrections once I've dng'd the files. So I'm hoping LR 3 or 4 might have distortion fixes for the commoner lenses...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back