• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Catalogs Tips on using both LR and LRc (and hopefully only syncing some images to LRc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceMonkey

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
ll.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
  2. iOS
I shot for many years with a Nikon D3 and then D3s and have a whole project of many years in the making shot using that. I then developed a chronic illness and had to switch to using my iPhone 12 Pro to continue the project. So I have my DSLR images in an old LRc catalog, and my iPhone 12 Pro images in LR cloud.

I am trying to combine the two since they are actually one project, to finally put together a series containing images from both my DSLR and iPhone

It seems like the best plan is to add my DSLR images to LRc and then sync with LR to get the iPhone images into LRc as well and edit the project in LRc. Otherwise if I edit the whole thing in LR I will have like 40,000 DSLR images in LR and in the cloud and on my phone which I don't want, I'd prefer to just have my iPhone images in the cloud.

So I'm wondering how this will work. Can I have images in LRc that do not get synced over to LR when I sync? Does the sync go both ways or just from LR to LRc?

Basically I'm wondering if I can have my DSLR images in LRc and not have them sync over to LR and keep my LR images synced to LRc.

Is this possible?

Thank you so much for your help.

Basically I'm wondering if I can have my DSLR images in LRc and not have them sync over to LR and keep my LR images synced to LRc.

Is this possible?
Yes, and yes!
Lightroom-Classic will only sync photos UP to the Adobe Cloud if you deliberately add them to standard Collections that are marked to 'Sync'.
And a benefit of this is that LrC only syncs these collections as Proxy (Smart Previews 2560px) files to the Cloud that do not use any space of your 20GB allocation.
Your suggestions are how I work. Lr-Classic syncs selected DSLR images (in Collections) to my mobile iPhone & laptop (Lr). All photos I take with the iPhone automatically download to my Lr-Classic catalog.

thank you for the reply. So the sync can be one way? I can have a huge LRc catalog and then just have one collection that syncs with LR while the rest is left alone?.

I don't need LRc to sync to LR, I just want LR to sync the images from my phone that I add to LR mobile to the synced collection in LRc.

If this works it will be very cool, and I can use the added functionality if LRc as well. :)

Can I have images in LRc that do not get synced over to LR when I sync? Does the sync go both ways or just from LR to LRc?
Yes to the first question, i.e. syncing images from LrC to the cloud is entirely selective, the user decides which images to sync from LrC. But when syncing images the other way, i.e. from cloud to a synced LrC catalog, all images added to the cloud from any of the Lightroom apps will automatically download into that synced LrC catalog.

Thanks. I guess my only other question is if I in LRc I can combine images from a sync Collection with images that are not being synced into a new collection. This is what I'm ultimately trying to do. Create a project out of the images I'm taking on my phone that are in LR and images I took in the past with my DSLR that will be in LRc.

Just trying to get everything sorted because I'm on a tight deadline.

thanks!

Yes you can do that. You create a collection which you do NOT enable to sync, then you add whatever images you want into that collection. It doesn't matter if the images are already synced or not, as an unsynced collection can contain both synced and unsynced images. A synced collection, OTOH, can only contain synced images, so if you add unsynced images to a synced collection they will automatically become synced images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back