• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Library module Timezone correction via Capture Time to Exif plug-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

LloydPDX

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I've done some searching to little avail.
I'd like to add two hours (all date fields) to a batch of images. (I'm aware of the LR capture time edit option, but prefer this result if possible.)
I have John Beardsworth's (@johnbeardy) plug-in, but feel quite overwhelmed and lost when trying to figure out what exiftool command to enter in the dialog box. I won't be surprised if I'm overlooking the obvious solution.
I thought I might find a simple online tutorial for this basic (operator error) correction, but no luck so far. Maybe I'll make one after I get schooled...
Can anyone comment?
Thanks!

With exiftool it is just a single line from command line:

Code:
exiftool -AllDates+=2  -overwrite_original c:\Pictures\*.jpg

Kind Regards
Wernfried

Can you elaborate on why you don't want to use the LR option? I've always found it quite useful, and it's the only option that modifies the raw file data.

Though exiftool is a great tool for all sorts of things, including this. A more interesting question is what you need to do to LR to make it re-read those fields if it has already imported the images. Read metadata might do it, but not sure, since it might just read the copy in the xmp?

Here are the plugin settings to add two hours to the metadata fields DateTimeOriginal (when the shutter was pressed), DateTimeDigitized (when the image was rendered/scanned in digital form), and DateTime (when a photo app last modified the metadata):

1579896298774.png

As the plugin help explains, be sure to do the menu command Metadata > Read Metadata From File after running the plugin, to tell LR to read the modified date metadata back into the catalog.

Notes:

- ExifTool calls the EXIF field DateTimeDigitized "CreateDate" and the EXIF field DateTime "ModifyDate".

- This doesn't shift the file modified and created dates (as shown in Finder or File Explorer).

- Metadata > Edit Capture Time just changes DateTimeOriginal, not DateTimeDigitized or DateTime.

- Even though the "Command line" field at the top of the plugin indicates a raw file is being modified, in fact the changes will be made to the raw file's .xmp sidecar (which is typically the desired action).

Can you elaborate on why you don't want to use the LR option? I've always found it quite useful, and it's the only option that modifies the raw file data.

Though exiftool is a great tool for all sorts of things, including this. A more interesting question is what you need to do to LR to make it re-read those fields if it has already imported the images. Read metadata might do it, but not sure, since it might just read the copy in the xmp?
As much as I expressed my confusion, I’m also curious to take it as a learning opportunity for something I might not seek out otherwise... in this case, to confront my “fear” of command lines.

Lloyd,

If you need to work with a command line for EXIFTool, may I suggest that you use a separate text editor window to construct the command line, with all its parameters. When you have constructed a full command line entry, then copy and paste that entry into a Terminal window in which you are running EXIFTool. And always do tests on a copy of your photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back