• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Time Machine as Volume in Lightroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanmcconaghy

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi there, so I'm having a heck of a time here with one of my external hard drives: basically, I have an external hard drive that I have partitioned to be both a Time Machine back-up as well as just a normal hard drive storage.
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.41.23 PM.png

But when I'm in Lightroom (I'm using LR Classic 9.2 release) I can't access the volume of Vault1 - only "Time Machine" shows up...

Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.43.33 PM.png

How do I get Lightroom to access and get Vault01 to show up...?
Thx.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.41.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 3.41.23 PM.png
    164.9 KB · Views: 115
You should never partition a disk into separate volumes especially if one of those volumes is dedicated to TimeMachine. I don't think MacOS will give you permissions to the TimeMachine volume for anything but Time Machine. It may not give you full access to the non Time Machine partition either. Using part of the disk as a data disk is not useful because you can not back up the non Time Machine volume to Time Machine and if you have a disk failure you lose both partitions — Time Machine and your data.

Ah - that would explain a lot... I had a internal hd failure about 2 months back and noticed that all the photos that were backed up on the partition that I was using as an external HD disappeared. I presumed it was the technician that performed the Time Machine back up and didn't bother to follow up with the person as I figured once something is gone from a HD, then it's just gone - plain and simple. I understand exactly what you're saying and will get separate drives: one dedicated to Time Machine back up, and one just for all of my photos. Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back