• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

TIFF vs PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Wimlett

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic version 8.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
In Classic, I've always edited raw images in Photoshop as PSD, but Lightroom CC only allows TIFF. TIFF is also the default setting in Classic, so is there any reason not to switch from PSD to TIFF? As far as I can tell TIFFs are significantly larger but are there any other drawbacks?

Not really. I think it is important that PS layers be preserved and any compression is lossless. Both TIFF and PSD can do this. Third party editors may not recognize PSD layers but can recognize TIFF layers. So, TIFF is a better choice in this regard.

Not really. I think it is important that PS layers be preserved and any compression is lossless. Both TIFF and PSD can do this. Third party editors may not recognize PSD layers but can recognize TIFF layers. So, TIFF is a better choice in this regard.

Thanks Cletus, that's helpful

TIF, because it is not proprietary and can do everything that a PSD can do. OK, there are 3-4 obscure things that need PSD, but TIF is a safer, more flexible choice in the long run.

Last edited:
Thanks John, in light of both your replies I'll stick to TIFF.

hmmm, normally psd should offer the same functionality as tiff but at a much smaller file size so why use tiff if you can safe a lot of space with psd

Regards,
Tom

You just have to choose one of the TIF compression options and that size difference effectively disappears.

You can find them in various places, Chris, though unsurprisingly LRCC doesn't offer any control.

The key is in PS where saving as TIF brings up an option screen. So if I am unsure if the TIF file has been saved with compression settings, I just do a File > Save As and overwrite the TIF, which then triggers the option dialog. But I don't get too wound up about this, because digital photography uses so much space in any case - what's another xxx mb?

John

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 17.17.21.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 17.17.21.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 341
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 17.19.32.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 17.19.32.png
    84 KB · Views: 334
You can find them in various places, Chris, though unsurprisingly LRCC doesn't offer any control.

The key is in PS where saving as TIF brings up an option screen. So if I am unsure if the TIF file has been saved with compression settings, I just do a File > Save As and overwrite the TIF, which then triggers the option dialog. But I don't get too wound up about this, because digital photography uses so much space in any case - what's another xxx mb?

John

Thanks John, Save As sounds the safest option - the file sizes of PSD and TIFF are staggering compared to raw but disc space is cheap these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back