• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Thumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheilaru

As a newbie, I don't understand thumbs and why they are filling up my catalogs. Can I safely delete all thumbs?

As a newbie, I don't understand thumbs and why they are filling up my catalogs. Can I safely delete all thumbs?

This has no relation to Lightroom. It is a Windows explorer issue. The “*.thumb” files are created by Windows Explorer. Stop using Windows Explorer to view file and Windows will stop creating the thumbnail files.

https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/what-are-thumbsdb-files-and-can-i-delete-them-windows.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually I have not used Windows in 20 years--all Apple devices.

Here's an example of the file name: thumb_jpg206.jpg

They are thumbnails of jpegs.

Then you must be using a MacOS app that creates those thumbs. Lightroom does not do that. What is your workflow?

Hi Sheila, welcome to the forum!

Where as you finding these thumbs files? That would offer some clues as to what they are exactly.

Actually I have not used Windows in 20 years--all Apple devices.

Here's an example of the file name: thumb_jpg206.jpg

They are thumbnails of jpegs.

Sorry for assuming that you were a Windows user. I’ve been away from Windows since I retired in 2008. In all the time I have been a Mac user, I’ve never seen a thumbs file on a Mac volume. I don’t know of any Mac app that creates them. Certainly not LR which creates any new Previews images in the Previews.lrdata package folder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you perhaps using Apple Aperture to import the photos from the memory card to the computer before you import them into Lightroom? Apple Aperture creates these kinds of thumbs, but because they are inside the Aperture Library package it should not be possible for Lightroom to access them. If you use some kind of trick to make Lightroom access the library package anyway (there are indeed ways to do that), then this could be the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back