• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

thumbs.db in same parent folder as photo folders to import

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandyjas

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
In copying my Edited Photos folder to my working external hard drive (the one which Lightroom will reference to after I import) I noticed a Sub folder of my Edited Photos “Retouch” has in it, right along with the photo folders, a folder named “thumbs.db.” This file is a unix Executable File. I guess this is a thumbnail reference to all the photos in Retouch. The other Sub folder in Edited Photos “Transport” does not have a thumbs.db file in it, just the individual photo folders. I’m pretty sure Lightroom knows what to do with this, but I want to make sure. When I import the individual photo folders in Retouch and Transport will this unix file in Retouch be used for 1st import previews, ignored, or get in the way? I don’t want to hurt my imports having this unix file in the same parent folder as the picture folders I am going to import.

Second question: Is it safer, for Lightroom to import photo folders one by one, or import far more folders and pictures by just importing the parent folder?
Thank You Very Much for any help. It's like I think I know, but I'm not 100% sure. One time I thought I knew about my camera, but I thought I would call anyway. I was wrong! I'll never forget that! So thank you for any help,
Sandy

Thumbs.db (Also shows up in Windows OS) will be ignored by LR. LR will use the File System tools (Move Copy etc) to get your cataloged files to the Destination folder(s). You can Accomplish the same task of getting your images to the EHD in LR instead of copying them there before import. The import process will take about the same amount of effort when you start with the parent folder and import the including sub folders as it would if you do the individual folders individually. By doing the Parent folder with subfolders you save a tremendous amount of time because this is one Import operation and not one import operation per folder. Also there is less chance of a user mistake if you do the import one time and get everything.

Thumbs.db (Also shows up in Windows OS) will be ignored by LR. LR will use the File System tools (Move Copy etc) to get your cataloged files to the Destination folder(s). You can Accomplish the same task of getting your images to the EHD in LR instead of copying them there before import. The import process will take about the same amount of effort when you start with the parent folder and import the including sub folders as it would if you do the individual folders individually. By doing the Parent folder with subfolders you save a tremendous amount of time because this is one Import operation and not one import operation per folder. Also there is less chance of a user mistake if you do the import one time and get everything.

Thank You So Much for the help. I feel a lot more sure about what I am going to do. Thank You,

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back